Skin irritation with Medtrum patch pump

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Any Medtrum users here? Do you get irritated skin under your patch pump too?
I've tried using Cavilon, but (a) it's quite expensive, and (b) it helps quite a bit, but doesn't fully resolve the problem.
Does anyone know of any better alternatives to Cavilon?
Or are there any other tips regarding skin care?
Thanks in advance.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have noticed the glue Medtrum use has changed in the last year (since the peel off has changed from paper to plastic) and I am more sensitive to it.
I use Cavillon which I buy in bulk from eBay to keep the cost down. I think I bought 6 bottles last time.
I also find slowly removing the pump under a hot shower helps - the glue is stronger so a hard pull can pull off layer of skin and make it more sensitive whereas slowly letting the shower water get into the glue and peel off almost by itself is much more gentle.
Lastly, I give my skin time to recover. The smaller Nano pump has given me the chance to try more sites so I can avoid a site for longer as I work my way around my body.

Edited to add shaving. As the glue is stickier, the affect of even a tiny hair getting caught in the glue can make it sore. However, shaving will remove the top layer of skin so I shave my next pump site 24 hours before a patch change.

Last edited:

ejpayne91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been on the Medtrum patch pump for a few months but just recently changed to the nano patch which definitely has stronger adhesive. I was using Cavilon but the wrong one! Stupidly I didn’t check and assumed all Cavilon is the same but the barrier cream is not suitable for protection against adhesive. I have just ordered some Cavilon barrier film which I will be trying which hopefully helps as my last couple of sites have been badly damaged on removal of the new nano patch.

Reactions: Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been on the Medtrum patch pump for a few months but just recently changed to the nano patch which definitely has stronger adhesive. I was using Cavilon but the wrong one! Stupidly I didn’t check and assumed all Cavilon is the same but the barrier cream is not suitable for protection against adhesive. I have just ordered some Cavilon barrier film which I will be trying which hopefully helps as my last couple of sites have been badly damaged on removal of the new nano patch.
It's the barrier film spray I've been using, actually. I still seem to get itchy under the patch by day 3. However, I know my skin is especially sensitive right now (although I don't know why). Hopefully you won't have the same trouble.

derivadow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, the glue causes skin irritation with me too (but at least its easy to know where to site the next pump!). I'm finding the pump sometimes doesn't stick to the Carillon as well and starts to lift/ needs tape to hold it back down. I also use Tea Tree oil cream which seems to help reduce the irritation within a few days.

derivadow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve very recently made a few changes which seem to help:

- Hypafix tape as a barrier (cut a little hole for the needle and stick the pump to the tape).

- Use Rock tape over the top of the pump (the pump doesn’t stick to the tape quite as well as skin).

- I’ve also stopped using an alcohol swab.

All together I no longer look like a Battenberg cake and the pump stays put even in water.
-