skinnyfat prediabetic

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Just got diagnosed with pre-diabetes in November 2016. I've always been slim, but gained a bit of weight over the last couple of years because of age? and a desk job. I'm 50 now and after being diagnosed googled for advice what to do. Basically I cut out most carbs, all white flour, potatoes, sugar, and tested BS a lot. I'm currently just under 54kg, lost 8 kilos. I've read about good results with intermittent fasting (5-2 diet) but I'm scared I'll get too skinny. Only just started the 5-2 diet because it's supposed to "reverse" pre-diabetes. Anyone else have a problem with loosing too much weight?
My morning BS is never lower than 5.6 unless I've been fasting from the evening before, then maybe 5.1. Normally around 6.1. I've only ever been under 5 (4.9) once, just before lunch after fasting. With the diet I can keep my BS under 6.8 most of the time so the diet works well that way. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Reactions: Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Welcome here ..You can ADD some more nuts to your food that seems to help many that tends to lose too much

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Welcome to the forum. I will tag @daisy1 to send you her info on diabetes and diet. adding more fat in the way of nuts, cheese, butter and cream should help to maintain weight as well as keep you full and your blood sugars down.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I managed to maintain my weight on a low carb (30g) high fat diet and have done so for 2 and a half years. I just added an extra egg a day and introduced cheese, which I hadn't had previously, plus extra butter and mayo. Since November I have been skipping breakfast other than a coffee with cream. My weight has remained stable. It's a question of balance and takes a while to find the right balance, but increasing fats, including fats from protein sources such as eggs and cheese, worked for me.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@kumera

Hello Kumera and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Welcome here ..You can ADD some more nuts to your food that seems to help many that tends to lose too much
Thanks, I do snack on nuts, but it seems the only way to get my fasting bloodsugar down is to eat nothing from 7pm. if I snack on nuts in the evening my BS will be 6.1 :(

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I do snack on nuts, but it seems the only way to get my fasting bloodsugar down is to eat nothing from 7pm. if I snack on nuts in the evening my BS will be 6.1 :(

I found that exercising lowers ones blood glucose, especially if you move after you have eaten...maybe if you exercise more and eat more fat you will find a balance that lowers your numbers more than now.

Many do not know that excess eaten protein will be changed by the liver into glucose as well more in some persons than in others... so most people do not need more protein than 0.8 gram pro kg bodyweight a day... but maybe you already know that.

on the other hand it is a very typical problem in type 2 diabetes that the livers transformation of protein and release of glucose reserves is raised compared to non-diabetics

you could choose to look at it this way that knowing that your liver produces more glucose then you counteract it by making sure that you do not eat any high spiking foods and then maybe you´ll end up with a HbA1c at the same level as a non-diabetic that just eat lots of high spiking foods but still is considered "normal"- non diabetic..
if you see my HbA1c underneath what I write here you can see it is in a non-diabetic area but still my morning numbers are almost always in the 5.2-5.8 area ... so don´t dispair , I think you are actually doing pretty fine.
by the way the extra nut do not have to be eaten in the evening... you could finish every meal with eating a couple of extra nut even though you do not really feel hungry

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I managed to maintain my weight on a low carb (30g) high fat diet and have done so for 2 and a half years. I just added an extra egg a day and introduced cheese, which I hadn't had previously, plus extra butter and mayo. Since November I have been skipping breakfast other than a coffee with cream. My weight has remained stable. It's a question of balance and takes a while to find the right balance, but increasing fats, including fats from protein sources such as eggs and cheese, worked for me.
Thanks for the advice. Do you think it's possible to restore the function of the beta cells, as some people proclaim, by losing weight and eating a low carb, high fat diet? Seems like you've done really well with your diet for a long time. Has anything changed from when you started this diet? Is your fasting BG lower now? Seems like everyone has a diff opinion to whether it's possible to actually reverse diabetes or just controlling it with diet and exercise.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that exercising lowers ones blood glucose, especially if you move after you have eaten...maybe if you exercise more and eat more fat you will find a balance that lowers your numbers more than now.

Many do not know that excess eaten protein will be changed by the liver into glucose as well more in some persons than in others... so most people do not need more protein than 0.8 gram pro kg bodyweight a day... but maybe you already know that.

on the other hand it is a very typical problem in type 2 diabetes that the livers transformation of protein and release of glucose reserves is raised compared to non-diabetics

you could choose to look at it this way that knowing that your liver produces more glucose then you counteract it by making sure that you do not eat any high spiking foods and then maybe you´ll end up with a HbA1c at the same level as a non-diabetic that just eat lots of high spiking foods but still is considered "normal"- non diabetic..
if you see my HbA1c underneath what I write here you can see it is in a non-diabetic area but still my morning numbers are almost always in the 5.2-5.8 area ... so don´t dispair , I think you are actually doing pretty fine.
by the way the extra nut do not have to be eaten in the evening... you could finish every meal with eating a couple of extra nut even though you do not really feel hungry
I didn't know about the protein. I did think on going vegetarian but it seemed to complex to do and being on a low carb diet as well. I think you're right about the exercise. I will try doing some after dinner. Maybe get an exercycle!! I've read high intensity should be really good? There's so much info on the net it's hard to know where to start. Tired after a day of work and slouching in front of the TV or with a book seems a lot better than exercising :D

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't know about the protein. I did think on going vegetarian but it seemed to complex to do and being on a low carb diet as well. I think you're right about the exercise. I will try doing some after dinner. Maybe get an exercycle!! I've read high intensity should be really good? There's so much info on the net it's hard to know where to start. Tired after a day of work and slouching in front of the TV or with a book seems a lot better than exercising :D

very good idea with the bike.. if in front of the telly maybe one would use it much more ...I myself listen to a lot of my favorite mucisians or listen to lectures on different matters when I exercise for many hours...heve even seen one doing her homework while biking really fast....
yes high intensity is good for some people, others have raised adrenaline rom it because of stress and that also raises the livers production of glucose... as the very effective fright hormon it is......so there is enough energy for flight or fight..

I think it raises mine quite alot, but I think the long term effect of all my execise is by far worth the somewhat raised liver glucose release..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the advice. Do you think it's possible to restore the function of the beta cells, as some people proclaim, by losing weight and eating a low carb, high fat diet? Seems like you've done really well with your diet for a long time. Has anything changed from when you started this diet? Is your fasting BG lower now? Seems like everyone has a diff opinion to whether it's possible to actually reverse diabetes or just controlling it with diet and exercise.

I've never had a high FBG. It is the same now as it has been since the beginning, likewise all my other pre-meal and bedtime levels have always been good. What has changed are my post meal levels. They have come right down. As far as I can see from my blood tests I don't think I have ever had much of a fatty liver, maybe that is the reason. I have no idea if my beta cells lost function or not, and if they did, I don't know if it has been restored. I can't answer your question I'm afraid.

All I know is I lost a lot of weight in the first 10 months and followed a low carb diet, slowly decreasing my carbs as time went on. I didn't go cold turkey on them. I have been on around 30g carbs for about 18 months now and that is when my post meal levels really took a dive, and are continuing to improve whilst my weight remains stable and I am eating a lot more fats and protein than I was before I dropped my carbs to 30g.

I won't count myself as in remission or anything close to it until I can prove I can stay stable and eat more carbs. I am experimenting with this at the moment.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I would say "YES" it is possible to reverse diabetes. I used to have fasting 6.5 - 7.0 in the morning, and after breakfast 11mmol/l or even 12mmol/l. I went mad on exercise and cut all junk food, and white flour products, and lost over 40kg rapidly, and now I get 4s in the mornings, and after breakfast like today: 5.2mmol/l 2 hours after eating, 3 hours 4.8, and that's eating over 50g carb meal for breakfast, I used to get 11s on much lower carbs.

The thing that work for me was the type of exercise, it was HITT(High Intensity Interval Training) that I've used when I was training for cycle races with the club in my much younger years.

I takes time and dedication, but strongly believe it can be done. Others have reversed it by low cal diet like the new castle diet, but everyone is different so you need to find what works for you, and more importantly what you can keep up long term.
Thanks for that. It's really good to hear that it can be done. I'll just keep going with the low carb diet and adding some HITT. It's only been 4 months, but I'm a bit impatient to see results.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never had a high FBG. It is the same now as it has been since the beginning, likewise all my other pre-meal and bedtime levels have always been good. What has changed are my post meal levels. They have come right down. As far as I can see from my blood tests I don't think I have ever had much of a fatty liver, maybe that is the reason. I have no idea if my beta cells lost function or not, and if they did, I don't know if it has been restored. I can't answer your question I'm afraid.

All I know is I lost a lot of weight in the first 10 months and followed a low carb diet, slowly decreasing my carbs as time went on. I didn't go cold turkey on them. I have been on around 30g carbs for about 18 months now and that is when my post meal levels really took a dive, and are continuing to improve whilst my weight remains stable and I am eating a lot more fats and protein than I was before I dropped my carbs to 30g.

I won't count myself as in remission or anything close to it until I can prove I can stay stable and eat more carbs. I am experimenting with this at the moment.
Thanks for answering. I know it's different for everybody, but it's great to hear about others success stories. You've done so well, I will persevere and try and get there as well..

Reactions: Bluetit1802