Skipping Breakfast..

TIANDB

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Now I do realise that many on here do this ( Skipping ) and have improved all their personal figures and well done.
Although I think many here on LCHF regimes are living on reduced calories and some to extremes
An interesting medical study points to breakfast being quite important for your body clock response..

Irregular eating habits such as skipping breakfast are often associated with obesity, type 2 diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular disease, but the precise impact of meal times on the body's internal clock has been less clear.

A new Tel Aviv University study now pinpoints the effect of breakfast on the expression of "clock genes" that regulate the post-meal glucose and insulin responses of both healthy individuals and diabetics.

The importance of the body's internal clock and the impact of meal times on the body were the subject of this year's Nobel Prize for Medicine, awarded for the discovery of molecular mechanisms controlling our circadian rhythm.

This TAU study was led by Prof. Daniela Jakubowicz of TAU's Sackler Faculty of Medicine and Wolfson Medical Center's Diabetes Unit. It was conducted in collaboration with Prof. Julio Wainstein and Dr. Zohar Landau of TAU's Sackler Faculty of Medicine and the Wolfson Medical Center's Diabetes Unit; Prof. Itamar Raz and Prof. Oren Froy of The Hebrew University of Jerusalem; and Prof. Bo Ahrén of Lund University in Sweden. It was recently published in Diabetes Care.

"Our study shows that breakfast consumption triggers the proper cyclic clock gene expression leading to improved glycaemic control," Prof. Jakubowicz says. "The circadian clock gene not only regulates the circadian changes of glucose metabolism, but also regulates our body weight, blood pressure, endothelial function and atherosclerosis.

"Proper meal timing—such as consuming breakfast before 9:30 AM—could lead to an improvement of the entire metabolism of the body, facilitate weight loss, and delay complications associated with type 2 diabetes and other age-related disorders."

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-11-breakfast-disrupts-clock-genes-body.html

An older interesting link.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-07-diabetics-breakfast-provoke-hazardous-blood.html#nRlv

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
No risk of a shortage of calories on my LCHF approach. I am getting all the calories and more from the fats I consume.
Yet again, not all calories are created equally and the CICO myth is being debunked as we speak. Fasting does aid some people, we are all different so the way forward is finding an approach that works for the individual.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very low carb most of the time but as my weight has been nice and stable now for 3 years I imagine my calorie consumption is spot on. I skip breakfast, but not properly fasting. I have a coffee with cream as soon as I get up. This starts my internal clock rolling. No "food" for a total of around 17 or 18 hours. I appear to be doing well on this method.

Reactions: TIANDB

Jo123

I do have a large mug of unsweetened soya milk for breakfast and I've noticed my blood pressure goes down when I drink it. I mentioned this to my cardiologist and he agreed that it would do. As I have a cardiac issue which means it is essential that I keep my blood pressure below 135 over 85 I therefore make sure I drink this small breakfast

Reactions: TIANDB

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The NHK video documentary on glucose spikes mentions that if you eat high carb food after fasting then you can get a spike. So if you do skip breakfast then eat something low carb for lunch. In have salad with cheese for lunch, which is low carb.

I have recently started to skip breakfast. I find it helps to reduce weight. I still have 4Kg tom lose to get to a BMI of 25 and no longer be overweight.