Sleep Apnoea and Type 1 diabetes

Bevhs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm new to this forum but I've had Type 1 diabetes for 18 years.
In the last three years I have also been suffering from Slepp Apnoea.
Where for those of you that are not familiar with this condition, you stop breathing many times an hour due to snoring or not (as I'm my case) and the soft tissue in your throat causes your airways to narrow or close.
I have a CPAP machine to help control this condition but it makes me cough all the time due to a eosophagus condition. So my SA goes untreated. My diabetes seems to be effected too as when I eat, particularly in the morning my blood glucose levels shoot up and the insulin doesn't seem to catch up for at least 2 hours or not at all and I end up giving a top up dose. The WORST problem is always feeling tired and out of it, especially in the mornings and I sleep on and off most mornings. Around 11-12am I will start to feel human. You see the sleep apnoea stops you from breathing normally and your brain reacts to this by making you sleep in a very light sleep. I wake up frequently but always feel exhausted on waking.
I can only start my day after I've got up, had breakfast and returned to sleep usually for about two hours.
On average I'm in this light sleep for 10-12 hours and the rest of the time I'm in various states of alertness. The Physical actions of talking, walking doing chores etc will usually keep me awake the rest of the day. This week has been a bad week with four hypos on consecutive days and my spikes in an upward direction with food can be just as bad coming down. I'm feeling exhausted!

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I'm new to this forum but I've had Type 1 diabetes for 18 years.
In the last three years I have also been suffering from Slepp Apnoea.
Where for those of you that are not familiar with this condition, you stop breathing many times an hour due to snoring or not (as I'm my case) and the soft tissue in your throat causes your airways to narrow or close.
I have a CPAP machine to help control this condition but it makes me cough all the time due to a eosophagus condition. So my SA goes untreated. My diabetes seems to be effected too as when I eat, particularly in the morning my blood glucose levels shoot up and the insulin doesn't seem to catch up for at least 2 hours or not at all and I end up giving a top up dose. The WORST problem is always feeling tired and out of it, especially in the mornings and I sleep on and off most mornings. Around 11-12am I will start to feel human. You see the sleep apnoea stops you from breathing normally and your brain reacts to this by making you sleep in a very light sleep. I wake up frequently but always feel exhausted on waking.
I can only start my day after I've got up, had breakfast and returned to sleep usually for about two hours.
On average I'm in this light sleep for 10-12 hours and the rest of the time I'm in various states of alertness. The Physical actions of talking, walking doing chores etc will usually keep me awake the rest of the day. This week has been a bad week with four hypos on consecutive days and my spikes in an upward direction with food can be just as bad coming down. I'm feeling exhausted!
Seriously, if you have sleep apnoea, you have to get it treated, otherwise you will feel constantly exhausted. I am surprised the hospital, having given you a CPAP machine, isn't following up. They monitor me and my machine every 6 months and if I haven't been "complying", I will be reported to DVLA and banned from driving.
It may be worthwhile investigating your oesophageal condition further as your present circumstances are untenable.
Please accept my heartfelt sympathies.

Reactions: azure

Bevhs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seriously, if you have sleep apnoea, you have to get it treated, otherwise you will feel constantly exhausted. I am surprised the hospital, having given you a CPAP machine, isn't following up. They monitor me and my machine every 6 months and if I haven't been "complying", I will be reported to DVLA and banned from driving.
It may be worthwhile investigating your oesophageal condition further as your present circumstances are untenable.
Hi, thankyou for your response. I have seen consultants and have had the tests but they feel that there is a slowing down of my digestion in my oeasophagus which gives me quite a lot of pain. I keep it under control with lansaprazole and gaviscon but when I get a bad chest cold it seems to irritate my condition and I cough every night for weeks and weeks.
The forced air pressure that comes from the CPAP machine does the same thing and also makes my throat sore.
I really don't know what to do next!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Shame that your not able to use the CPAP machine @Bevhs , understand that you feel exhausted all the time.

You say you spike after breakfast, do you pre-bolus by any chance, many of us find that pre-bolusing (on a basal/bolus regime) 20 mins before food helps with postprandial spikes.

Hope you find a solution soon for your SA. Good luck.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi, thankyou for your response. I have seen consultants and have had the tests but they feel that there is a slowing down of my digestion in my oeasophagus which gives me quite a lot of pain. I keep it under control with lansaprazole and gaviscon but when I get a bad chest cold it seems to irritate my condition and I cough every night for weeks and weeks.
The forced air pressure that comes from the CPAP machine does the same thing and also makes my throat sore.
I really don't know what to do next!
Hi @Bevhs At my last check-up, I was given a humidifier for my CPAP, it's about the same size and fastens onto the side of the CPAP. I get some benefit from it, but it hasn't transformed my life. However, in your case it may work wonders - worth an enquiry? I have found the CPAP technicians at the hospital very helpful and approachable.

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would definitely try the humidifier I feel mine helps. The other thing is to look at the masks you are using - I find nasal pillows the best and if I need to occasionally I add in a Chin strap. The figures around driving and untreated sleep apnoea are horrific and if for some reason I feel the apnoea tiredness creeping up (last time my CPAP was faulty) I don't drive. I may be willing to risk my life but not those of loved ones. I would also try raising the top part of your bed, it helps with both the apnoea and the oesophageal problems. You can buy a blow up wedge for under the mattress or one for on top of it. The days of 10 litres plus of red bull and bags and bags of sweets to keep me awake have luckily gone but my sympathy is with you as I still remember the horrible feeling when you can't reach REM sleep. I had to persevere with CPAP and the masks but it was worth it. Final thought some sleep clinics still issue fixed pressure CPAPs you might do better with an automatic one that adjusts your pressure depending on need.