Sleep Deprivation

Agada

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, quick question if I may. Can sleep deprivation/disturbed sleep independently cause diabetes even if other factors are kept in check? Reason I ask is because I became a father in November, just before that I had a hba1c test that was 35 so all good, also since her birth my quality of diet, exercise, weight and other factors haven’t changed (I’ve actually lost weight rather than gained it as she’s making me move more !), however as we are sharing the bottle feeds, naturally my sleep pattern has taken a hit. Some days the sleep is fine despite being a bit broken, other days we feel a bit shattered, but I’m wondering if this alone can cause diabetes? Or if other factors such as weight gain would be more concerning as a byproduct of the sleep disturbances? Thanks.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure whether you were diagnosed as a diabetic before as your profile indicates a reversed type 2. My personal belief is that once diagnosed all the factors that effect blood sugar levels will continue to do so. So in that case sleep disturbance will effect your levels.

If you have not already been diagnosed I don't think lack of sleep alone will cause diabetes. My eldest feed every hour until he was 7 months old so very much lacking in sleep but I wasn't diagnosed until he was in his late 20s. I had other children with sleep issues who are all adults so lack of sleep wasn't what did it.

Good luck and congratulations on your baby!