SLEEP ISSUES ANYONE?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Is anyone having weird sleep patterns, irregularities etc recently? I was chuffed that I began sleeping through the night after I started my meds and new diet but then suddenly a couple of months ago I started waking up after a few hours sleep, around 3-4am and was having night sweats. I put it down to my bedroom being stuffy but am not so sure that's it.

I tried Herbal Nytol the past two nights with some success. First night I slept right through from 12-6.30am. "Wonderful, I've cracked it!" I thought. I felt really tired last night so I was in bed by 10pm and took a Nytol as I went to bed. Read for half an hour, fell asleep but woke up at 1.55am in a cold sweat! Grrrrr. :x

I had to read for another half hour before I got to sleep again, but then I must have woken every hour until finally my alarm went off at 6.30am. I'm back at work now, so I can't turn over and catch up on my sleep and I'm learning a new job, trying to keep my BS under control and I can do without the sleep irregularity. :x

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this and do you have any ideas regarding knock out drops? :think:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't remember the last time I slept right through the night. I wake up and have to go for a pee at least twice a night. I thought this was normal for diabetics.

There is another thread on here which is active at the moment on a similar theme and I replied to it saying that going to bed does not guarantee sleep for any of us. Going to bed when tired probably will though.

I instinctively recoil when I think of taking knock out drops. I would rather read more of my book.

sassywriter43

I cannot help here I am sorry. Even though I have sleep problems, I swing from insomnia through to hypersomnia. I have other medical issues as well though. As I have M.E. I know it is really frustrating and I really do feel for you. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I had and still have some issues with sleep. Previously I was waking regularly during the night and I think it was because my BS were going too low and giving me a Hypo. Since I have stopped my evening medication I do sleep all the way through, just wake with high sugars now! I think its all trial and error.

Good luck

B

badcat

ive always been a really poor sleeper but ive noticed that over the last 6 months Ive had similar experiences to you - I dont know if its the end bit of menopause or the effect of having gone very low carb which Ive read can also have some effects on body temperature etc

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Sleep, wonderful stuff.

Since I have been on Metformin and I am not up for a drink or a pee every five minutes I sleep quite well.

That does not mean I am asleep in bed though. I am sure my family would tell tales of me wandering the house re arranging the furniture, raiding the fridge etc.

I do tend to wake up if I stub a toe.

The wandering is not Diabetes related I have always "sleep walked". Occasional embarrassing moments when living in communal accommodation :D

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I started back at work on Wednesday after a year off sick. The job is hectic and I'm replacing a secretary who was leaving on Friday so I had 3 days to learn the job (ha! they must be joking) get my head round who's who in the department - anyone who thinks a desk job is easy, be my guest! I'd rather have been a hairdresser but it's too late now! :lol:

Friday afternoon my back felt like it needed to lie itself down flat on the floor, my eyes were closing because I've had broken sleep for a couple of months and I honestly felt like going straight home and putting myself to bed. I've found as I've got older, lack of sleep doesn't just make me feel mentally groggy, it makes my body ache too and once I catch up on my sleep that goes away.

I fought off the sleep until 8.30pm and then I gave in and went to bed. I woke at 1.30 for the loo, read for half an hour, went back to sleep until 8am when I got up feeling refreshed.

I'm always scared of going to bed too early on working days, in case I wake in the early hours and can't get back to sleep and end up having to go to work with my eyes half shut and my brain half engaged - or alternatively, ending up nodding off when I should be getting up and missing work altogether. So I'm aiming for a 10pm bedtime during the week.

Off to the bank now to pay £300 tax I've apparently underpaid and didn't know about until I got the lovely brown envelope through the door at New Year! :x :x :x I don't begrudge paying my taxes, but I do get annoyed when the error is not my fault and beyond my control.

One less problem to give me sleepless nights I suppose. :roll:

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
It's a fact of modern life or at least it is for me, that we can often be mentally tired out but, physically no where near. I get the up on the night for a leak and thought its was the T2 or the drugs or being late 50's did it. What fixes my sleep is no work/worries and being physically tired.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
wellwell1212 said:
Its a fact of modern lief or at least it is for me, that we can often be mentally tired out but, physically no where near. I get the up the night for a leak thing and thought its was the T2 or the drugs or being late 50's did it. What fixes my sleep is no work/worries and being physically tired.

That's exactly why I want to win a few million quid on the lottery. I'd have no work, no worries and tire myself out every day spending my millions. :lol:

To add to my sleepless nights, I've just paid a tax bill of £287 which for some reason the Tax office said I'd underpaid. I'm not self employed, my tax is taken out of my wages every week so it wasn't my fault I'd underpaid but hey ho! I don't use a cheque book so I had to go to the bank and get a bankers draft - that cost me an extra £10 which really irked me ... came back home to find a Notice of Intended Prosecution on the doormat. Apparently I was caught on camera doing 35mph in a 30mph zone whilst travelling to the interview for this new job last week. So that's £60 fine and 3 points on my licence for doing 5mph over the limit. I've driven for 37 years, no points, no speeding tickets, 1 parking ticket, no bumps, no accidents.

I think I'm definitely due for a change of luck after the past few years I've had - bring it on! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Allegedly it used to be considered quite normal to wake up in the early hours.

There was 'first sleep' and 'second sleep'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

So perhaps it isn't a thing to worry about too much.

I find that if I drink alchohol in the evening I am more likely to wake up in the middle of the night.
But then again that could be bladder related. :lol:

Cheers

LGC

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
GraceK,
Sorry to hear you are having a rough time at the moment, let's hope that's all the issues out the way now.

You mentioned you had to pay for a bankers draft to pay your tax bill, I may be missing something here but rather than incur the charge why not just draw the cash out and pay the bill in cash. I pay mine at the Post Office and they accept cheques or cash.

diabetes51

Dislikes
I am old fashioned so rude people, swearing , lack of good manners.
People trying to make me live in fear of complications instead of encouraging me to enjoy life. especially those who have never bothered to educate themselves about T1 diabetes.
People who eat/sleep/drink their diabetes,and let it rule their life!
Just a thought, but before I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism I had broken sleep, was over anxious etc. Thyroid problems are more common in people who live with diabete. So if this is something that has developed recently, have you discussed it with your GP? I am not diagnosing your problem as thyroid related, just querying if it could be.