Sleep issues

May Mic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sleeping well at all. I keep a routine, bed at the same time... watch liquids after dinner, no eating after dinner, exercising in the day time, dark room, all the things they suggest except the social media, I do turn the brightness to minimum though.

Sleep is an issue with older adults, I understand ( I'm 70).

Does lack of good sleep affect weight loss? Glucose levels? Immunity?

Any words of advice for me?

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try Magnesium Glycinate at bedtime. I've never had a problem getting to sleep, but staying there can be a problem, I can tell when I've forgotten to take mine, awake 3 or 4 times through the night, rather than the once (to pee :) )

• Agree
Reactions: ianf0ster

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Poor sleep can certainly contribute to raised blood glucose levels.

Do you find it hard to fall asleep when you first turn in for the night? I used to lie awake in bed until I adopted the same, non-negotiable bedtime every night. I see you go to bed at the same time and that's good, but it may take a while for your body's circadian rhythm to reset as a result. Keeping to a nightly routine is the single factor which has helped me the most to get a good night's shut-eye.

If waking during the night, for no obvious reason, is the chief problem, this may be closely connected with your diabetes and changes in blood glucose levels. It sounds like a catch-22 situation, but if you can bring your blood glucose down by reducing your carbohydrate intake during the day, you may well suffer fewer sleep disturbances.

Reactions: May Mic

May Mic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Poor sleep can certainly contribute to raised blood glucose levels.

Do you find it hard to fall asleep when you first turn in for the night? I used to lie awake in bed until I adopted the same, non-negotiable bedtime every night. I see you go to bed at the same time and that's good, but it may take a while for your body's circadian rhythm to reset as a result. Keeping to a nightly routine is the single factor which has helped me the most to get a good night's shut-eye.

If waking during the night, for no obvious reason, is the chief problem, this may be closely connected with your diabetes and changes in blood glucose levels. It sounds like a catch-22 situation, but if you can bring your blood glucose down by reducing your carbohydrate intake during the day, you may well suffer fewer sleep disturbances.
I have been in the same routine for a long time. I very often wake at 1:30 for no reason. Sometimes sweating. I wonder if it would do any good to do a glucose check at that time just to see? I often have trouble getting back to sleep and can be awake for up to two hours. Frankly, I am getting tired of it.

My next step is cutting back on social media an hour before going to bed.

May Mic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try Magnesium Glycinate at bedtime. I've never had a problem getting to sleep, but staying there can be a problem, I can tell when I've forgotten to take mine, awake 3 or 4 times through the night, rather than the once (to pee :) )
I checked with my pharmacist, unfortunately it is not an option for me. We discussed melatonin instead so I'll give it a try.

paxs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd love to know what has worked for people, I have a lot of issues with getting to and staying asleep and been that way for years now. Ive sleep apena which is now mostly controlled and that has helped Before I was getting maybe an hour to hour and half at a time, now Im managing about 4 hours. However once I do wake up I cant get abck to sleep for another 2 or 3 hours. As you might guess 4 hours a night is slowly killing me, any suggestions would be appreciated. Im a 55 year old type 2 diabetic and would love to resolve this. I need some energy so I can start deling with other issues, exercise etc.