Sleeping at Night

AashnaKB_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone! I've been diabetic since I was 9 (7 years now).
Just wanted to know if anyone feels like they don't get a good nights sleep due to high/low blood sugar and how they manage despite it? Recently, I've often noticed myself waking up a coupe of times and then checking with my Libre just because I'm not sure what I'm at. Any advice would be much appreciated! x

D

Deleted Account

If my BG is under control, my sleep is unaffected.
If my BG is high, I wake up, give myself some insulin and go back to sleep.
If my BG is low, I wake up, crunch some GlucoTabs and go back to sleep.

When you wake and check your Libre, what do you find?
That your BG is too high/low or that it is ok.
If you are waking due to your BG, I would not see that as a bad thing - it is your body reacting and getting you to deal with it. If this keeps happening, you may need to consider your insulin doses to stop the waking.
If you are waking when your BG is fine, it may have nothing to do with diabetes: it could be stress with some other part of your life or something you ate or ... it could be stress about diabetes.

AashnaKB_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If my BG is under control, my sleep is unaffected.
If my BG is high, I wake up, give myself some insulin and go back to sleep.
If my BG is low, I wake up, crunch some GlucoTabs and go back to sleep.

When you wake and check your Libre, what do you find?
That your BG is too high/low or that it is ok.
If you are waking due to your BG, I would not see that as a bad thing - it is your body reacting and getting you to deal with it. If this keeps happening, you may need to consider your insulin doses to stop the waking.
If you are waking when your BG is fine, it may have nothing to do with diabetes: it could be stress with some other part of your life or something you ate or ... it could be stress about diabetes.

Thanks for the reply! I'm lucky to be very sensitive to my blood sugar so waking up at night to highs and lows are what I see as a good thing. However I do find that sometimes my sugars are absolutely fine and I still wake up and check to make sure.

Maria Eftime

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone! I've been diabetic since I was 9 (7 years now).
Just wanted to know if anyone feels like they don't get a good nights sleep due to high/low blood sugar and how they manage despite it? Recently, I've often noticed myself waking up a coupe of times and then checking with my Libre just because I'm not sure what I'm at. Any advice would be much appreciated! x

My sleep is very good! Maybey at hight but at low everything is fine. Maybey the Libre is not showing the good glicemy!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Night owl (UK) thread is heavily used by me in times of insomnia but sleep hygiene discourages gadgets through the night.
I hope this improves for you.

Knightrider

Thanks for the reply! I'm lucky to be very sensitive to my blood sugar so waking up at night to highs and lows are what I see as a good thing. However I do find that sometimes my sugars are absolutely fine and I still wake up and check to make sure.
It is good if your body is sensitive to low. I'm not sure high matters so much. I consider myself very lucky in that if my blood sugars drop while I'm asleep, edging into hypo territory, it wakes me up and I sort it. 2.7 does it for me - boom, awake. Having said that I sleep like a log otherwise. I'm about 50 years older than you and was diagnosed in 2000!! I read that 'old' people don't sleep well. Could have fooled me.