Sleepy after hypo

briony1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else feel so sleepy to the point where they feel they have no control over falling asleep or not following a hypo? I suffer so bad sometimes can’t even keep my eyes open it’s awful - is it normal? Thanks! X

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @briony1 . Many years ago a “ bad hypo “ would often result in me needing or wanting to just curl up and go sleep once my BS had risen back to a normal level.
The worry back then was whether or not I had had enough complex carbs to stop another hypo occurring.
Fortunately over time hypos and the effects have changed and the need to sleep seems to have gone. Saying that I’m probably more experienced and have CGM to stop those bad hypos occurring to often.

Reactions: briony1

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else feel so sleepy to the point where they feel they have no control over falling asleep or not following a hypo? I suffer so bad sometimes can’t even keep my eyes open it’s awful - is it normal? Thanks! X
Hi @briony1
This is totally normal, as low blood sugars are absolutely exhausting both mentally (panic) and physically. Its absolutely awful when you know you need to stay alert but it's a physical battle to keep your eyes open. You need to just tell people around you how you feel and to communicate with them when your blood sugars have gone low - tell them not to let you doze :)

Reactions: briony1 and porl69