Slightly diabetic

troutman

My dad went to the doctors the othe week with some symptoms, frequently urinating and pains when passing urine etc.

Doctors results came back said "he's slightly diabetic" what does that mean?! Or maybe he wasn't telling me all of it.
I am concerned, he, he's 65, is overweight and drinks maybe few cans of beer at night and loves his bacon sarnies etc, doctor told him to cut out the alcohol and stick to better diet.

Does this mean he should recover and be ok, or is this a sign he will eventually become diabetic?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Being 'slightly diabetic' is a bit like saying 'slightly pregnant' you either are or aren't!However if he were to lose weight and stick to a reduced carb diet then it may help him control it.

troutman

ok im just relaying what ive been told! Im just suprised the doc then hasn't said you're diagnosed with diabetic type xx is that what normally happens, is he not giving me the whole picture, or maybe the doc?

Trinkwasser

troutman said:
ok im just relaying what ive been told! Im just suprised the doc then hasn't said you're diagnosed with diabetic type xx is that what normally happens, is he not giving me the whole picture, or maybe the doc?

Some doctors are frighteningly lackadaisical about diagnosis or treatment. IMO there's a feedback loop, poor doctors prescribe treatment that means inevitable and rapid progress so they have no experience of any alternative prognosis. Better doctors are more proactive and the better results they see makes them more determined to be proactive.

Here's a better one

http://www.dsolve.com/learn-the-solutio ... toq-course

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
There's no such thing as "slightly diabetic", but there is Glucose intolerance, which our Transatlantic cousins call "pre-diabetes".
Glucose intolerance is sometimes reversible, by weightloss and a low carb diet. Diabetes isn't reversible, just controlable

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
troutman, your Dad's blood sugar readings may have been borderline or slightly above the cut-off points for the definition of diabetes. I think the best way of explaining the significance of this is to say that his glucose metabolism isn't coping with the work he's asking it to do.
He may well be producing a lot of insulin, but his weight, age and diet are making him less responsive to it. He will then produce more until eventually production will start to fail and then he really will be a fully fledged diabetic!
He may well find that if he restricts sugars and starches in his diet, his blood sugars come back to a normal level quite quickly. It would be important to try this quickly, before permanent damage is done.

All the best,

fergus