Slow cooker v oven

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really don't want to buy a slow cooker, I have loads of gadgets and I really don't have room for more.

Could I just stick stuff in a casserole dish on a low oven? What temperature would I use to follow recipes for low, medium and high?

Reactions: lorraine95

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes you can. You will have to experiment but look at a book of casserole recipes for suggested temperatures, you may also find for very long slow cooking that sealing, "luting", the lid with a dough will stop any chance of the meal drying out. Potatoes cook better in a casserole in the oven in my experience but as the are carbs. you may not want them.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the dough tip that's really useful.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really don't want to buy a slow cooker, I have loads of gadgets and I really don't have room for more.

Could I just stick stuff in a casserole dish on a low oven? What temperature would I use to follow recipes for low, medium and high?

You can do pretty much everything anything in the oven you would do in the slow cooker. I appreciate what you say about gadgets, and certainly when my slow cooker was declared mortally wounded (a cracked inner pot), I declared that its replacement had to do more than merely slow cook. I ended up with an electric pressure cooker (a fast slow cooker really), which has multiple functions, including traditional slow cooking. I have never actually used the slow cooker function; preferring to use the pressure cook option, then leave on keep warm. I means a several hours casserole can be done in less than an hour, but kept long as long as required. Bone broth in waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than the usual 24 hour nonsense, and of course, it's a 8 or 8ltr capacity, which lends itself to batch cooking.

Smaller gadgets are cheaper to run than a larger oven, but obviously needs to be stored somewhere. Mine lives on a prep bench as it's used so often.

I'm an unashamed enthusiast.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes I did shoulder of lamb last week (pre fast) for 10 hours at 110 degreesC then whacked the oven up to 200 for the last 30 mins to brown off the exterior.
Wrap the dish well in foil to keep the moisture in.. deeelish. But take the foil off for the last 30 mins..

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You can do pretty much everything anything in the oven you would do in the slow cooker. I appreciate what you say about gadgets, and certainly when my slow cooker was declared mortally wounded (a cracked inner pot), I declared that its replacement had to do more than merely slow cook. I ended up with an electric pressure cooker (a fast slow cooker really), which has multiple functions, including traditional slow cooking. I have never actually used the slow cooker function; preferring to use the pressure cook option, then leave on keep warm. I means a several hours casserole can be done in less than an hour, but kept long as long as required. Bone broth in waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than the usual 24 hour nonsense, and of course, it's a 8 or 8ltr capacity, which lends itself to batch cooking.

Smaller gadgets are cheaper to run than a larger oven, but obviously needs to be stored somewhere. Mine lives on a prep bench as it's used so often.

I'm an unashamed enthusiast.
Daughter's multi function slow cooker arrived this morning for Christmas. She is very excited (must be a grown up now!) as she loves her old standard one that is now failing. She has just discovered the delight of making fudge in it. Sadly I don't think there is a low carb version of this for me. :bigtears:

Reactions: porl69

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DCUKMod I do fancy an IP but my microwave does all sorts of things including dry air frying, I will have to learn how to use it, if only I can find the instructions.

@friutella Google keto fudgex you might find something you fancy.

@bulkbiker that lamb sounds amazing.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod I do fancy an IP but my microwave does all sorts of things including dry air frying, I will have to learn how to use it, if only I can find the instructions.

It was.. only lasted for 2 days.. dinner hot then cold the next.. i did a rub with ras al hanout and smokey steak mix...heaven.

Reactions: xfieldok

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm just making friends with my air fryer.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Slow cookers come in very handy during the Australian summer when you really don't want the oven on but if it weren't for that I may not have bothered with it.

Reactions: xfieldok
D

Deleted member 308541

Slow cookers come in very handy during the Australian summer when you really don't want the oven on but if it weren't for that I may not have bothered with it.
We are going to cook up a chicken curry in our slow cooker today, it will be nicely cooked when we come home after watching the Melbourne Cup day races this afternoon.

Reactions: Safi

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We are going to cook up a chicken curry in our slow cooker today, it will be nicely cooked when we come home after watching the Melbourne Cup day races this afternoon.

Not sure about the weather in Melbourne today but it's going to be a scorcher here on the far south coast of NSW - a lightbulb would throw off too much heat today :***:

D

Deleted member 308541

Not sure about the weather in Melbourne today but it's going to be a scorcher here on the far south coast of NSW - a lightbulb would throw off too much heat today :***:
The BOM weather guessers forecast 32° here in Bundaberg today, it's 28° out at the airport at the moment.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I did shoulder of lamb last week (pre fast) for 10 hours at 110 degreesC then whacked the oven up to 200 for the last 30 mins to brown off the exterior.
Wrap the dish well in foil to keep the moisture in.. deeelish. But take the foil off for the last 30 mins..

Wow @bulkbiker I am impressed that you are writing about scrumptious food as you fast:):) Hats off to ya!! Cheers/L

Reactions: bulkbiker