Slowly slipping into old bad habits.

kmc1998

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi :)
I am new to this and sorry if this is posted in the wrong place?

I have had diabetes from the age of 2 and am now 19 (had type 1 diabetes for 17 years :O) and am on an insight insulin pump which I had to lose weight for... this is where my story begins...

Anyway years ago I struggled with anorexia and bulimia and got all the therapy and got back on track and remained a healthy weight for a year or two. Suddenly these old feelings have resurfaced and I feel the constant need to restrict my eating, over exercise and have the constant urge to bring food back up.

I am really struggling with what to do as my parents were hurt badly watching me suffer and I do not want to repeat this again but this is getting too much for me, I mean it's taking over my life and I have no idea what to do to get help.

Thanks for reading :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you cantact the place where you got therapy back then? It has helped you before, so maybe they can help you get back on track. I wish you all the best!

kmc1998

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can you cantact the place where you got therapy back then? It has helped you before, so maybe they can help you get back on track. I wish you all the best!
It is an option I guess... but I go to university at the other side of the country so visiting will be limited or not possible all the time. Maybe I should look for options else where :)
Thank you! :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It is an option I guess... but I go to university at the other side of the country so visiting will be limited or not possible all the time. Maybe I should look for options else where :)
Thank you! :)
Good luck! And it might be an idea to contact them anyway just to ask for advice about where to go.

Reactions: kmc1998

Honeyend

Your university should have a student support officer or college nurse.
You would be surprised , or maybe not how many people struggle with eating. Your life becomes wrapped up in what you are eating and being at uni just makes you have to think,explain about it all the time. When you just want to be you.

There are some really good self help web sites for mental health .https://youngminds.org.uk/find-help...FrrgfSc0eO8dzj_dbm_Zr4ON0SlGHgThoCOhAQAvD_BwE
Some have monitored forums, so you can get support.
Try and see the college nurse and the local GP at uni may have good contacts with mental health services and get you in for some CBT.
The one thing about uni is there is probably someone there who has similar problems, but you just do not know them yet.
As a parent, I know its hard to talk to parents, but just talking to another adult who is not your parent can lift the load. If you can't talk to them is their someone else that can reassure them?

kmc1998

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I never thought of student services at University before :) I shall get in touch when I return thank you!

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi @kmc1998 ,
Some areas offer online therapy or telephone consultations at a time to suit you and you might be able to continue from wherever you are. You could google your GP to find out which NHS Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) you come under, then look for IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapy) to find out what is available from your CCG. You could also try MIND https://www.mind.org.uk/ to access help. You can self refer; you do not need to be referred by a GP. Hope this helps. x

kmc1998

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you :) I will look into it when I return to Uni in January as I am now registered down there for doctors/ medications etc :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @kmc1998
welcome to the forum !! :)
I am glad you looked here for some support !

I am tagging @jacqfromdwed and @asortafairytale
they are members of a charity that look to help people struggling like you are.
here is a link to their website http://dwed.org.uk/

hopefully one of them should be along to offer some support -- or try going direct to their website and contact them there.

sending a big hug to you too [[[hug]]]
himtoo
xx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@kmc1998 - I'll tag a couple of folks, involved with DWED (Diabetics with Eating Disorders) who would certainly understand some of your challenges. I wonder if @asortafairytale or @jacqfromdwed are around at the moment.

Personally, I had a problem with anorexia many moons ago (loooooooong before diabetes entered my life), so I can identify with the haunting thoughts and urges. I'm pleased to report that those urges faded with time for me, but it's not easy. That's for absolutely sure.

In the meantime, if I can help in any way, please let me know.

kmc1998

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi there @kmc1998
welcome to the forum !! :)
I am glad you looked here for some support !

I am tagging @jacqfromdwed and @asortafairytale
they are members of a charity that look to help people struggling like you are.
here is a link to their website http://dwed.org.uk/

hopefully one of them should be along to offer some support -- or try going direct to their website and contact them there.

sending a big hug to you too [[[hug]]]
himtoo
xx
Thank you very much :) feel like it's the only place I can seek support as I'm scared of letting people down again

Reactions: himtoo