Small update on Medtrum CGM & Pump

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I wrote about these guys last year. There are one or two issues with the product. When you ask them for real data, they don't have any. There are no clinical trials to back up the MARD claims on the sensors, and nothing related to RCTs for using the pump.

As a result, they've been marketing to the users rather than HCPs in order to try and drive demand. It's an interesting technology, but no-one in HCP land has seen anything to suggest that it will make it on to the NHS BS prescribing list, as they can't produce data. I've seen the insertion tools and devices up close, and posted a video in Autumn last year, but the situation remains the same. They haven't yet been able to show off the new controller with the predictive low glucose suspend functionality.

http://www.diabettech.com/cgm/medtr...-artificial-pancreas-marketplace-coming-soon/

http://www.diabettech.com/medtrum/c...-where-are-they-since-the-jdrf-discovery-day/

Interestingly, that update you've posted is about as much as I got last year. All feels like a bit of a white elephant to me.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hadn't seen the pricing before on the CGM in particular. Based on a 7-day sensor it would be about £2200 (due to the 12 month transmitter life) and in the same ballpark as a G5 Dexcom with sensors extended to 14 days. If it proves possible to extend the Medtrum sensors to 14 days then the cost comes down to £1240 a year which is an interesting price point compared to both Libre and Dexcom.

As you say though (and we saw with the early Libre launch pain) there is a lot more to rolling this out than a website and a few marketing demos.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
They were talking Libre level pricing back in August. I've seen some of the feedback they had from some individuals that tried the pump at a private hospital last year. It was mediocre in respect of the pdm.

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Such a shame. @tim2000s I read your post about this last year and was looking forward to some further developments. I've been searching all over the internet the last couple of days after I received that same link that OP mentioned.