Smart Insulin Pens - how do I avoid the priming dose being included in the actual dosing injection?

BadaBing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

I have a question about smart insulin pens, specifically the Novo Nordisk smart insulin pens (the NovoPen 6 and NovoPen Echo Plus) that allow users to transfer insulin dosing information to compatible glucose monitoring apps, like the Freestyle LibreLink.

As you know, when you first put a new penfill cartridge in an insulin pen immediately before taking an injection it is often necessary to dial several units and deploy the piston of the pen before one begins to see any insulin appear at the tip of the needle, so you know the penfill is ready to dispense a full dose of insulin.

Novo Nordisk also recommend that before one takes every insulin injection, one should always dial two units of insulin and deploy the piston to execute an "air shot" to prime the pen and ensure insulin is flowing properly before taking the injection proper.

So my question is: with these smartpens, is there any way to avoid the "air shot" dose or priming doses being counted as part of the dosage proper when the data is transferred from the pen to the Freestyle LibreLink?

Many thanks in advance.

MPH 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know about Librelink, but xdrip allows you to set up to nfc scan the novopen plus, and ignore priming doses. it's under settings>insulin pens. I have mine to ignore doses made within 30 seconds of the "main" dose.

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
Hello

I have a question about smart insulin pens, specifically the Novo Nordisk smart insulin pens (the NovoPen 6 and NovoPen Echo Plus) that allow users to transfer insulin dosing information to compatible glucose monitoring apps, like the Freestyle LibreLink.

As you know, when you first put a new penfill cartridge in an insulin pen immediately before taking an injection it is often necessary to dial several units and deploy the piston of the pen before one begins to see any insulin appear at the tip of the needle, so you know the penfill is ready to dispense a full dose of insulin.

Novo Nordisk also recommend that before one takes every insulin injection, one should always dial two units of insulin and deploy the piston to execute an "air shot" to prime the pen and ensure insulin is flowing properly before taking the injection proper.

So my question is: with these smartpens, is there any way to avoid the "air shot" dose or priming doses being counted as part of the dosage proper when the data is transferred from the pen to the Freestyle LibreLink?

Many thanks in advance.
Options to edit the dose and change the description.

Personally I find this really irritating by Freestyle Libre. I use Glooko and it is perfectly capable of distinguishing between doses except for the Libre. It is lazy, sloppy code work from their IT people IMO.

They can fix it. They choose not to.