Smart watch teamed with Android phone - to show BG reading from Libre 2

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I see from various posts that software updates will turn Android phones from scanning devices to instantaneous BG read out devices.
I have also seen posts asking about using a smart phone to work directly with Libre 2.

What I would like is an Android compatible smart watch which can talk to LibreView on the Android phone and display the BG reading on the wrist.

As I understand it this should leave most of the heavy lifting to the phone, but allow you to glance at your wrist for a real time read out.
This (if possible) is attractive enough to justify buying a smart watch.
Heart rate monitoring, NFC etc. would be a free bonus; I haven't seen these as justifying a smart watch on their own.

I don't know if you would need an App loaded onto the smart phone which is specific to LibreView.

Has anyone gone down this route?
Or already using a smart watch to show LibreView readings prior to the upgrade?

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know of anything that will work with the official LibreView app, which is a great shame as it would be trivial for them to add a phone-wide notification (via e.g. an Android Intent) which could be picked up by other apps running on the phone and acted upon (e.g. by passing said data onto a smartwatch). Instead one must use a third party app, which is not for everyone, though they have their advantages.

I wonder how one might exert pressure on them to do this, shame the NHS don't mandate that things available on prescription have better data sharing capabilities.

Fwiw I use XDrip+ and a Garmin watch (& watchface to display the glucose value), though that doesn't give a useful answer your question I'm afraid.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
connection from LibreView directly to watch is not available yet though it is supposed to be planned. Probably held up by current upgrade fiasco. It is possible using the Juggluco .com app. Linking to Samsung watch. :

IMG_6317.jpeg

Reactions: SimonP78

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know of anything that will work with the official LibreView app, which is a great shame as it would be trivial for them to add a phone-wide notification (via e.g. an Android Intent) which could be picked up by other apps running on the phone and acted upon (e.g. by passing said data onto a smartwatch). Instead one must use a third party app, which is not for everyone, though they have their advantages.

I wonder how one might exert pressure on them to do this,
Look at the App Store - it has a review. The developers look at this and sometimes reply …. ;)

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Look at the App Store - it has a review. The developers look at this and sometimes reply …. ;)
Well at least they respond (Google Play store, not sure if you're talking about the Apple App Store from the naming?), but it appears they then point people at a customer care telephone line.

I assume from the wink that you've either had some luck contacting them this way, or you actually work for them - if so I'm more than happy to pass on some thoughts. My judgement is perhaps clouded by my experience to date not being overly positive when contacting companies this way (one-man/small team devs with github repos are far more receptive to Issue submissions).