Snack

Bridie9408

I am thinking of switching to 4 injections a day and would like to know do you have to inject every time you snack even if it was only a cup of tea and biscuit.

D

Deleted Account

The great advantage of basal - bolus insulin regime is the flexibility to eat as often as you want.
If you want to skip breakfast, no problem. If you want afternoon tea, go for it.

It may be described a "4 injections a day" but this is a simplification.
It is one injection every time you eat a significant amount (usually more than 10g) of carbs plus once more.
So, whether you have to inject when snacking depends on what and how much you eat.
Cheese - no need to inject. A Rich Tea biscuit - no need to inject. A couple of Jammie Dodgers and you will need to get your insulin pen out.

I started on a fixed dose of two injections and hated the restrictions it put on my eating.
As soon as I changed to basal-bolus, I was back to my usual eating (grazing) patterns again.

Bridie9408

The great advantage of basal - bolus insulin regime is the flexibility to eat as often as you want.
If you want to skip breakfast, no problem. If you want afternoon tea, go for it.

It may be described a "4 injections a day" but this is a simplification.
It is one injection every time you eat a significant amount (usually more than 10g) of carbs plus once more.
So, whether you have to inject when snacking depends on what and how much you eat.
Cheese - no need to inject. A Rich Tea biscuit - no need to inject. A couple of Jammie Dodgers and you will need to get your insulin pen out.

I started on a fixed dose of two injections and hated the restrictions it put on my eating.
As soon as I changed to basal-bolus, I was back to my usual eating (grazing) patterns again.
Thank you so much that info helps.

Reactions: Kim Possible

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bridie9408, just be mindful of stacking insulin as well (ie, injected insulin overlapping), if you eat your biccy or whatever, say an hour or two after a full meal, you may still have insulin on board from that last meal so you need to try and factor that into account. I find I can eat up to 15 carbs without bolusing so maybe test yourself.

Reactions: Bridie9408