Snacks

Tailzjh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, I am a recently diagnosed type 1. I am eating 3 times a day only as I havnt met with the diabetic team and despite the 3 meals I still want to snack from time to time between. I havnt yet learnt how to carb count so was wondering if anyone had any good ideas of snacks that have little or no effect on glucose levels.
As far as I am aware these need to be 0 carb or low carb snacks.
I keep seeing a handful of unsalted nuts but let’s be real, it is not a very fulfilling snack choice.

Wondering if anyone else has any better ideas

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sure there is many people with good suggestions for you. My opinion is snacks are a bad idea. I only eat twice a day sometimes once a day and I have a good appetite but my blood sugars are difficult enough to manage.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi welcome to the forum, some people can manage snacks up to 10g of carbs but not everyone. If you are newly diagnosed chances are you are in a honeymoon period & still producing some insulin. Diabetes is a lot of trial & error to see what works for you.

Low carb snacks I enjoy are: cheese, any meat or salami, pork scratchings, cucumber, a small amount of carrots sticks, low carb crisps like Skips, crackers (but be careful not to have too many).

Most of your unhealthy snacks like crisps, chocolate, toast & cereal will cause a rise without insulin.