So Confused about diet

Solomino

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is my first post. I wasn't sure where to post.

My husband has type 2 diabetes he also has Muscular dystrophy. He is thin due to muscle deterioration and does not need to lose weight. I have been reading a lot on the benefits of low carb diets (I am on Keto due to my weight) lowering glucose but how to do that without losing weight?o_O You see, his blood sugar is high and he doesn't eat sweets so I THINK it must be the carbs in his diet. I could really use some advice or direction please.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Up the fat to compensate. I lost weight on LCHF, but stalled it by upping the fat content of my food and eating more nuts

Reactions: Incyb

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Give him lots of steak and eggs, along with additional butter on his green veg. Replace a high carb breakfast with something based on eggs.

(Firstly you remove the process carbs including flour, you may find that he is OK with unprocessed carbs.)

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nuts, Cheese, Salami etc are all high in fat content and you don't need a whole pile of them to up the calories.

Up the fat.

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree .. increase the fats. Use lots of olive oil and butter to cook, and on your veg. He can also have hard cheeses and lots of avocados..

mushmonster

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Increasing fats seems to be the best answer. He can apply a low carb high fat diet. He should eat lots of healthy fats (avocado oil, nuts, coconut oil, olive oil, seeds etc.) along with a limited amount of carbos.