So fed up with everybody

Scottishgal991

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone.

Just here for a little rant today.
Im just so fed up of everybody around me giving me their input on my diabetes.

Went to my aunties house for lunch today and she point blank REFUSED to let me have the pudding ( a fruit salad) because im a diabetec and im "not alowed" to have stuff like that.

Let me tell you i was ****** off!
Who does she think she is!!!
Considering my diabetes is perfectly controlled (hbac1 of 39) i think i know what i can and cant eat.

How do others cope when faced with situations of others trying to tell them how to manage their conditions?

I was so angry i just walked out and have not spoken to her since.

I recieve some ignorant comments from friends sometimes but have never been refused something i want to eat.

Rant over i guess haha

Sent from my SM-G903F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that makes a change! It's usually people pushing food on you that you can't eat. Having said that, I couldn't eat a fruit salad, so in my case she would have been right. :(

Scottishgal991

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeh i get that alot aswell, people pushing food on me i cant eat. I wouldnt have been able to eat the whole fruit salad but i certainly would have been able to eat some of it.
My body seems to be able to cope with most fruits. The insulin also helps lol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting your aunt put her foot down on the fruit salad. Normally I get "I did you a fruit salad as its natural"..
Nope it still has sugar, so I'll pass.. Cheers. By the way, is this fruit salad in syrup??

Insulin can help.. But it can also be like rod for our own backs with "unknown quantities." ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The other week my mum tried to tell me I can't eat a cream cake. So I ate 2.
Many years ago when at school (Christmas time.) my English teacher shimmied round the class with a box of Quality Street. When she got to me she offered me one.. At the point of politely declining, she bellowed.. No "barracked" in front of the class "AND IF YOU THINK I WOULD GIVE A SWEET TO A DIABETIC!"
On this occasion I did take one and say **** you very much... That was the only time.. ;)

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The other week my mum tried to tell me I can't eat a cream cake. So I ate 2.
Tsch! I am pretty sure it might have been over-active motherly concern rather than a challenge! :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My girl's school drive me crazy. Every time there's a child's birthday, they ring me... "Can Kacey have a sweet as it's *insert child's name here* birthday today! Argh. Yes, 1 haribo is not going to kill her. Nice that they care but ***, every time!!

By yer kids great A1c. it's at her discretion.. They may have to ring round all the parents incase of a nut allergy or gluten intolerance...?
But I know what you mean...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tsch! I am pretty sure it might have been over-active motherly concern rather than a challenge! :)

I say enjoy it while you can.. My old dear has memory issues. I was testing round her place a few months back & she thought I'd cut my finger... She now lives with my sister.. She was also cutting me masive slices of cake. She never offered me cake. Lol

Scottishgal991

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting your aunt put her foot down on the fruit salad. Normally I get "I did you a fruit salad as its natural"..
Nope it still has sugar, so I'll pass.. Cheers. By the way, is this fruit salad in syrup??

Insulin can help.. But it can also be like rod for our own backs with "unknown quantities." ;)
Nah the fruit salad was in frut juice. My body would have definatly been able to handle it aslong as i didnt have too much.

Scottishgal991

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone.

Just here for a little rant today.
Im just so fed up of everybody around me giving me their input on my diabetes.

Went to my aunties house for lunch today and she point blank REFUSED to let me have the pudding ( a fruit salad) because im a diabetec and im "not alowed" to have stuff like that.

Let me tell you i was ****** off!
Who does she think she is!!!
Considering my diabetes is perfectly controlled (hbac1 of 39) i think i know what i can and cant eat.

How do others cope when faced with situations of others trying to tell them how to manage their conditions?

I was so angry i just walked out and have not spoken to her since.

I recieve some ignorant comments from friends sometimes but have never been refused something i want to eat.

Rant over i guess haha

My aunt is also a surgeon so thinks she knows everything about all medical conditions. Just fed up of people thinking diabetics are all the same.
At the end of the day some people can eat things others just cant. We are not all the same and thats the really frustrating bit

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
She was trying to help. Most people know very little about diabetes and what they do know is usually 'old wives tales'. Don't get upset, bare in mind that many doctors and other health experts know very little about what a diabetic should eat. So your aunt is in good company.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On basal/bolus. I take 12u lantus and 5u novorapid before meals and 1000mg metformin twice daily

The thing to do is say hello to yer aunt... Life's too short & you do have an A1c of "39".. Sounds like she wants you around as long as possible..? Good intentions. Don't pathe a road to hell..!? ;)

Reactions: 3 people

Scottishgal991

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
She was trying to help. Most people know very little about diabetes and what they do know is usually 'old wives tales'. Don't get upset, bare in mind that many doctors and other health experts know very little about what a diabetic should eat. So your aunt is in good company.
I get that she was just trying to help. And i honestly do appreciate how much she cares about me but at the end of the day im not a child and should be alowed to make my own choices. I wouldnt have minded if she suggested i maby not have it but to point blank refuse me is rediculous. Like i said earlier considering i have an excellend ac1, i think i know how to look after my condition.
I just got so angry at her in the heat of the moment. Kinda feel bad now since, yeh she was just trying to help.

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You know the worst time for me is when you're having a hypo so eating chocolate. And some smart **** says 'you shouldn't be eating that you're a diabetic'
Im surprised I've not punched anybody by now for telling me what I can and can't eat
Hope you sort it with your auntie @Scottishgal991

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Scottishgal991

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You know the worst time for me is when you're having a hypo so eating chocolate. And some smart **** says 'you shouldn't be eating that you're a diabetic'
Im surprised I've not punched anybody by now for telling me what I can and can't eat
Hope you sort it with your auntie @Scottishgal991

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app
Haha yeh i know. Been there many times myself. Phoned her up and apologised so we are all good. :)

Reactions: 9 people