So I went to see the NHS Dietician and ........

spinningwoman

The thing that frightens me, though, is what if I had to go into hospital for some other reason and they were put in charge of my diet? It is crazy, evil even, that a bunch of people who are supposed to base their views on science are refusing even to look at what is in front of them. When I low-carb, I have normal blood sugars, so I'm not diagnosed with anything. But I just weakened and ate the batter off my piece of fish-shop fish and bang - 9.4 after an hour.

Katharine

I think we should buddy up with each other for our diabetes appointments. They like to have strength in numbers when they bully you to eat rubbish. We should have a defence team too.

Dillinger, if you have enough time, money and a fast car you would be the ideal buddy!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Maybe I should be glad that I've never seen a dietician and that my DSN and GP know I'll do my own thing.
Hana

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I emailed my dietitian ...

Dear R---
The chairman of our Diabetes Support Group recommends I contact you regarding diet. We have met several times, & I followed the recommended low GI diet for the first 8-9 years of diabetes.. When I checked, my carb consumption was over 300 g of "good" carb daily. Its now below 100 g.

I have recently been thoroughly checked under the Imperial College "SABRE" [heart & diabetes] project & all is well. I am much better under the low carb diet, whereas I was becoming disabled with intense leg pains.

The dietary advice which has restored my active life was obtained from contributors to the www.diabetes.co.uk forum which is run by patients rather than medics. The experience of other patients is very helpful.

I should be grateful for your comments on a reduced carbohydrate diet. Its over a year since the first email, & I would not consider reverting to the GI diet.

HBA 6.2, BMI 24, Chol 4.8.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Her reply:

Apologies for not replying earlier to your e-mail. Firstly congratulations on your excellent blood results and BMI (HBa1c and Cholesterol). It is safe to continue following a lower carbohydrate diet provided the balance of the energy is from fruit & vegetables, monounsaturated fats (e,g. nuts, seeds, lean meat, olive/rapeseed oil), low fat dairy foods as opposed to saturated fats.
Also if a patient is following this diet they should monitor their blood glucose levels and adjust medication/insulin to reduce risk of hypos. on a lower carbohydrate intake. Regular blood tests to monitor lipid levels are also advised.

The ADA recommend that a minimum of 130g carbohydrate/day but if you go lower than this keep above precautions in mind.

I hope this answers your queries.

We run an Xpert group education course for Type 2 patients and Hidap for Type 1 patients. You are welcome to attend these sessions and I am sure other patients would benefit from hearing about how you are self manging your diabetes so well.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just spoken to an NHS dietician today.

She was an absolute MUPPET. She recoemnded that I have porridge or weetabix for breakfast afet I told her that all cereals (incl. porridge) made my sugar shoot up.

i geniunely believe that these dieticians are taking NO NOTICE of any new information. In their eyes, they've done the studying (YEARS AGO) and are now above being corrected by a patient.

Makes my blood boil!

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Katharine said:
Dillinger, if you have enough time, money and a fast car you would be the ideal buddy!

Well, thank you! Apropos of nothing it reminds me of that lovely quote from George Best who when asked about what happened to his huge fortune from football said he spent most of it on wine, women and fast cars, the rest he squandered....

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Saw my blind friend Sarah (64) yesterday, & as usual looked at her nurses' notes after 2 weeks.

They do a daily 40 U Glargine injection every morning, & check her BS at the same time. BS was as usual 14-20, with the occasional dip below 12. Nurse wrote in the log: "Reminded her of the importance of diet."

She is dependant on her helper, who can read neither English nor Punjabi. Her diet comprises Oatibix or Rice Crispies, with skim milk (she's 8 st & needs fattening up,) wholemeal bread, chapattis, with vegetarian veg & pulse. Bananas & other fruit also. She does eat cheese, but its not provided.

Apart from blindness due to glaucoma which came on when she was studying for PhD, & extreme tiredness (she often sleeps through Christian meetings when we have specially collected her) she has no obvious complications, so is she walking time bomb? Or are the "keep below 7" directions not relevant. If she does go below 8 (twice this year) she refuses the insulin. Last time the nurse came back after lunch & checked at above 20.

She is highly intelligent, but who am I against the professionals responsible for her daily care?

If she lived nearer, I would provide soya mince, cauliflower cheese, ground almond porridge, etc, but I can't do enough to make a difference.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Serena,
I suppose I can count myself lucky after reading the experiences of others, due to me being a skinny T2 my Dietitian put me on a High Fat :shock: diet and told me to the reduce carbs.

Cheers
Graham