So I'm new at this...

PDR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Piers Morgan
I originally posted this stuff in my introduction post and it was suggested that I move it to here, so if anyone read it there please accept my apologies for the reptition. Please accept my apologies for the reptition.* This is what I originally said, although I've updated the graph:

A year or so ago my doctor advised me that I was slightly over the line for type 2 and put me on Metformin (500mg twice a day) and statins, largely because I am slightly overweight (only about 4-5 stones) and employ staff to take my exercise for me. A couple of weeks ago I had a review and the stats had gone mad, so I was given a testing kit. That gave me some data to play with, and like all engineers I just love playing with data, so out came the spreadsheet...

blood sugar.png

This showed I was way over the limits, averaging about 14mmol/l for the first few days. The chart above shows my learning journey. The early peaks included discoveries like the evils of watermelon (a hazardous substance which should require a prescription) and the way that bread is mostly carbs, so lunchtime sandwich or baggette is a stupid idea! Then couscous, then pasta (even wholemeal pasta) etc etc - I'm sure you've all been there. Last weekend I discovered the Lidl "Low GI Loaf" and had salad sandwiches for lunch. That's when I discovered that Lidl "Low GI Loaf" is just as carb-loaded as a brace of croissants, so that's now on the banned list as well.

The chart is interesting. Most of the peaks an troughs I can account for through food errors or bouts of exercise, and you can see that there is a general downward trend (helped a little by the doctor adding Gliclazide from lunchtime last saturday) but there are underlying themes that I struggle with. Like why it is that the level sometimes goes up while I sleep, but other times it goes down. Or why I can eat an evening meal followed by a 2 mile brisk walk on one day and see the net level drop and stay down, but precisely the same meal and walk the next day will see a peak before the fall. So any advice/poiters here would help!

Now since I wrote the above things have been steadily drifting down, and I also understand that some of the extreme values are due to testing at the wrong times (I was testing at all sorts of times to try to understand the causes, so I would test before eating and tnen again immediately after eating rather than just 1-2 hours later, and that explains some of the peaks (but not all of them). On the pother hand last weekend I was put on gliclazade as well as metformin, so hat is probably flattering my progress.

My basic problem is this. Although based in Surrey my company has seconded me to a project in the northern wilderness of Warton (near preston), so every monday morning I fly north and every thursday night I fly back south. Between the two I spend 3 nights a week in a Marriott. Of the hotel menu options pretty well the only thing I can sensibly eat is the Caesar Salad (with teak or chicken), which I usually supplement with a pound of grapes (grazed on through the day) and some cashews. I don't eat breakfast. My lunch options are limited because the company cafeteria is on the wrong side of the airfield and there is a deli/sandwich bar instead. Obviously anything in rolls (even wholemeal ones according to my experiences) sends my stats through the roof, but the only alternative is a "chicken tikka salad" from the garage/spar-shop over the road. This gets monotonous! Being in a hotel I can't prepare my own food for lunch or dinner, and I'm getting the feeling that eating a pound of grapes per day may not be a good idea.

Any suggestions?

PDR

*The hesitation and deviation will come at a future date

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Loose the grapes! They are terrible for us. Maybe don't change anything else for a few days and just see what happens.

Others will be along with loads of advice....

You found the right forum welcome!

Reactions: dbr10
D

Deleted Account

When I was seconded to the Northern wilderness of Manchester for 6 months from Monday to Thursday, I convinced my employer to put me up in a serviced apartment. This was great for me because it gave me the freedom to cook and prepare what I wanted. And despite the apartment being rented 7 days a week, it worked out cheaper for my employer than a hotel and restaurant meals.
It helped my weekends too because I was able to completely the weekly grind such as washing and ironing from my apartment in the evenings rather than having to waste the whole weekend.
I made my own lunch to take to work (apart from Mondays).
I was even able to host my partner for a weekend in Manchester (which, I discovered, is not a wilderness).

stefficlewis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure if you are aware but grazing on grapes is probably not a great help for a start. They are loaded with sugar :(

For meals- why don't you try meat with side veg? May get boring but at least you could get a good amount of protein to keep you full?

Also, snack on raw carrots instead of grapes. Cheese? - babybels and tescos/sainsburys/asda do mini cheese snacks! Sainsburys also have low sugar marshmallows- bare in mind they have polyols in them so still substantial carbs but they are released very slowly :)

Other low carb snacks- peanuts, hams, cheeses, coconut chips, walnuts, blackberries would be better than grapes, skyr yoghurt or greek yoghurt

If you are craving sugar/chocolate Cadbury highlights are good!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of the hotel menu options pretty well the only thing I can sensibly eat is the Caesar Salad (with teak or chicken), which I usually supplement with a pound of grapes (grazed on through the day) and some cashews.
As others have said grapes (and cashews too) aren't great for Type 2 too many carbs.
As you are staying at the hotel long term why not have a word with the chef (or whoever warms up the food in the restaurant) and ask if it's possible to have some low carb options. It may or may not work but hey worth a try. Also does the Spar not sell cold meats/cheese? most do and they would be a lunch alternative.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oi!!!! Less of the northern wilderness. ;)
We do have electricity, broadband, indoor sanitary facilities, and very friendly locals. :)

I agree with everyone else ..... loose the grapes and cashews. Fruit is never a wise choice for us. Fructose in the fruit is a major contributor to fatty liver, which triggers insulin resistance, which triggers weight gain, and diabetes. It won't help you, and is likely to do you harm.

Does your hotel do a variety of low carb foods at breakfast? Things like hard boiled eggs or cold meats that you could take away with you for lunch? If it does a full English, choosing to eat that instead of lunch might be worth a try (bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomato) if you feel you could do that.

Reactions: hankjam

PDR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Piers Morgan
Thanks for all that - food for thought (low-carb, low sugar food at that!). I went for the grapes and nuts because one of the "food GI tables" pages that Mr Google found for me listed both in the "green zone". It seems there's a lot of disinformation out there! Yes, I've been eating cheese, and that helps, but it's difficult to store in a hotel room so I have to buy in small quantities (which is expensive). I'd love to stock a supply of cambonzola or brie with calvados, but I have no fridge and I suspect that eating a pound of cheese a day may not be a good idea either! I have lost about a stone and a half over the last six weeks (only four more to go) so that is obviously something I'd prefer to keep doing. Actually a couple of months back I lost two stones in 5 minutes, but they were kidney stones and I gather they don't count*.

I suppose I could start eating breakfast, but I've always found that having the poached eggs, bacon, sausage etc at that time in the morning makes me feel bloated before lunch but still doesn't stop me needing lunch. So I'm reluctant to try that again.

OK, so I can stop grazing grapes and crunching cashews. I'm not sure I could go as far as grazing on carrots due to a genetic condition I've had since birth - apparently I'm not a rabbit, and it's just something I have to live with :)eek:). The problem seems to be the carbs. Whatever meal I'm offered comes with potatos, pasta, gnocci, chips, bread or similar. I found a table that said rice was bad, but bismati rice was OK. That was great - we generally only have bismati rice at home, but when I tried doing a nice curry the numbers shot up again. So what can I have with curry - egg noodles? At the moment the only solution I can think of at weekends is to do a curry for the meme sahib and myself, but for me to have only a miniscule amount of rice with it (and no popadoms or naan bread - where's the fun in that??).

I have hit on the idea of raising the lack of low-GI options in the company cafes as a diversity/inclusivity issue and seeing if that can be used to apply pressure to the (outsourced) caterers. But that will take a while.

So what do other people eat?

Oi!!!! Less of the northern wilderness. ;)
We do have electricity, broadband, indoor sanitary facilities, and very friendly locals. :)

A likely tale! When the aeroplane is on approach to Warton the pilot announces "we are on our final approach into warton so please ensure your seatbelts are fastened, your seatws are opright and your seat-trays are stowed. The local waether is wet and windy, and for local time please set your watch back 30 years..." :). Of course the real problem is that we're so far north of the wall that there is a high risk of attacks from white walkers and white dragons, so it pays to remain safely within the confines of the hotel.

PDR

* If anyone is interested - the experience is like passing a couple of peanuts. Not recommended!

Last edited by a moderator:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The trouble with GI is that it is not diabetic specific, nor are most diets out there. We are all different, some people can tolerate porridge, others can't.

Get a copy of Dr Michael Mosley's book the 8 week sugar diet. Lots of background information which is invaluable.

For grazing I can have dry roasted peanuts. Mr Porkey's pork scratchings are great and they light version is easier on the teeth.

Once you have LCHF under your belt you will want to graze less.

Find out what works for you.

Look up keto diets.

All rice is out for us as are noodles. There are zero carb noodles and pasta out there as well as cauliflower rice, some people like them others don't.

Reactions: eggs11

kazd63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PDR, your posts are hilarious, makes entertaining reading and I feel your pain, I too read grapes were okay (even though I know they are just sugar and water but assumed it was the fibre content that made them okay)

PDR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Piers Morgan
OK, so last thursday I cut the grapes and the cashews and only graze on the odd nibble of cheese. the plot now looks like this:
blood sugar 2.png

I've also been restricting the samples to wake-up, before lunch, 2 hrs after lunch, before supper, 2hrs after supper and before bed. That has eliminated some of the wilder excursions where I was just taking samples to explore the shape of the curves. The numbers seem to be going the right way, but I am getting blurry vision (which will hopefully revert after a while).

PDR

Reactions: MrsGruffy

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. Whatever meal I'm offered comes with potatos, pasta, gnocci, chips, bread or similar. I found a table that said rice was bad, but bismati rice was OK.

My 2p on your predicament.
Just because its on your plate you don't have to eat it...
All rice is probably bad and will spike you so try a veg curry dish instead as well as the meaty one of course.
I tend to have just meat and some green veg for most of my main meals.

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yay.. you're so definitely on the right track! I don't know if they have twiggy sticks there.. they're like little skinny spicy salami pieces. You can't eat too many because of the heat.. but they really help with hunger issues, and are quite delicious. I think they'd go very nicely with cheese too. Can you get the shelf cheese like we can in Australia? It might be very simple cheese, but you might get away with keeping it unrefrigerated for a few days. I guess the other thing you could consider is travelling with an esky... one of those polystyrene boxes and a couple of those plastic freezer bricks that don't leak water everywhere. A small one would fit under the seat and with a bit of planning and some zip lock bags, you could bring a grazing menu from home for while you're away. Perhaps your staff who are no longer exercising for you could pack your lunch now that they have a bit of extra time?

Reactions: Bluetit1802

PDR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Piers Morgan
My 2p on your predicament.
Just because its on your plate you don't have to eat it...

That may be true for you, but it's not for me. I'm afraid I don't do self-denial very well - it would be a form of torture that probably violates my rights under article 3 of the ECHR. In the same way that some suggest I could have certain 85% chocolate in small quantities, but I can't. I don't/can't do the whole "small quantities" thing and if there's a bar of chocolate in the cupboard I will eat the whole thing at one sitting. I can successfully resist anything but temptation, so I don't have it in the house!

I have decided that on tuesday I'm going to raise the issue of the lack of low-carb, low-glucose food in our cafeterias as a "diversity/inclusivity" issue. My employer claims to take this very seriously as part of our core values, so I'll put it to the test!

Meanwhile I'm happy to see my first dip below 5 mmol/l in recorded history, so I'll celebrate with some cake!

PDR

(only joking)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've also been restricting the samples to wake-up, before lunch, 2 hrs after lunch, before supper, 2hrs after supper and before bed. That has eliminated some of the wilder excursions where I was just taking samples to explore the shape of the curves. The numbers seem to be going the right way, but I am getting blurry vision (which will hopefully revert after a while).

Well, that is a great improvement, which just shows the grapes and cashews were not doing you any good.
The blurry eyes will settle. They happen when blood sugars drop quickly. Whatever you do, don't be tempted to change your specs (if you wear specs) as you may be wasting your money.

PDR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Piers Morgan
Thanks for the support. But I'm not kidding myself - my numbers may be down, but only due to my pancreas being taken around the back of the bike sheds and given thorough going-over with a baseball bat (ie metformin + gliclazade). Once it's stabilised for a few weeks I will have to see if I can back off on the meds if I want an injection-free future!

PDR

Reactions: Bluetit1802

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would ask the Hotel for a fridge for starters (I do this anyway to store insulin) and I have never been told no. Maybe if you say you need one because you are diabetic they might provide one free (thinking you are on insulin) even though you haven't said that (!). Even if you have to pay I think that would be worth it and I might even claim it as expenses dependent on your Company obviously. With a fridge the world opens up to you, even Preston must have a Tesco's. I would stock up on (or take with me) boiled eggs/cold meats/cheese/cooked chicken/salads/nuts/cooked salmon etc, etc. I might even explain to the hotel I have dietary restrictions and would they mind popping my homemade soup into their microwave. You never know until you ask. Good luck.

PDR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Piers Morgan
One other thought/observation - my numbers have been down to what I gather are close to acceptable levels for several days now, which is great*. But I've also been feeling drained of energy and decidedly lethargic. Is that just my system adjusting to the sudden change in glucose levels (like the blurred vision), or is it something else?

PDR

* Actually it isn't - that's a lie. I have vivid dreams about tucking into curry with kashmiri rice & naans, spagbol, pizza, cheese&pickle sandwiches on thick doughy white bread with fresh roast potatoes on the side before diving into a large vat of caramel & vanilla ice cream. But don't tell anyone I said that. Move along there, nothing to see...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have cut the carbs and therefore lost a source of energy. You need to replace that energy from extra fat. Have you done that?

PDR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Piers Morgan
I'm eating a lot of cheese, and chewing on duracells between meals. Are you telling me to up the protein or upgrade to lithium-cobalt crunchies?

Incidentally - I do drink Coke Zero (in cherry or vanilla flavours) because the label says it has 0% sugars and carbs. Is that something I should be abstaining from as well?

PDR

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm eating a lot of cheese, and chewing on duracells between meals. Are you telling me to up the protein or upgrade to lithium-cobalt crunchies?

Incidentally - I do drink Coke Zero (in cherry or vanilla flavours) because the label says it has 0% sugars and carbs. Is that something I should be abstaining from as well?

PDR

Have you always eaten a lot of cheese? The idea is to increase the fats. Plenty of avocado, eggs, oily fish especially salmon, butter, cream, full fat yogurts etc. The fewer carbs, the more fat is needed. The more carbs, the less fat is needed.

When eating or drinking anything that is sugar free, make sure you read the labels to see what has replaced it. It is often aspartame, which is hugely not good for anyone. Whichever sweetener is used, check Google for its downsides.