So many hypos!?

Vigman

Hi

My 17 year old daughter is on a basal/bolus routine. She is good about testing and diet, but despite many consultations just has so many hypos.

These are mostly early morning (3-4pm) even if she has gone to bed with quite a high reading. We've had doses changed, but she still swings from high to low all the time.

Has anyone got any helpful advice, please, as we are all really tired and frustrated by this?

Thanks

Vigman

Slinger

hi,

i was on basal/bolus rountine for years, had a few hypos but not too many, i final figured out that i was taking too much novaripid (fast acting) insulin for evening meal. not way to much but enough to bring my blood down to low slowly so couldnt feel the hypo coming on so early. started carb counting and stop the hypos. still have a few about once or twice a month but nothing to bad

ste

lilibet

Hi
It could be the rapid acting left over from when she eats, though I believe Novorapid and its ilk only has a duration of about 4 hours. I believe that hypos around the 3am mark are common, possibly we need less insulin at that time of night. Also, if it keeps happening and you cant fathom it, ask for a continous glucose monitor, to get a reading on a 24 hour basis

The other option of course is that the basal is not set right. What kind is she on and what time does she take it?

chocoholic

Until I split my Lantus, I found I'd wake up around the time your daughter is too. Having split the Lantus, night-time hypos are very rare for me now. Might be worth considering for your daughter but check with her doc. first.I'm always wary of suggusting playing with medication without a doc. okaying it.