So upset right now :(

MissMac

@Typicaltwo that's one for the Sky plus planner then, thank you! Think I might have seen something about it on the much hated (of mine) one show before I managed to switch over in haste! We have been talking for some time of cutting out a lot of the rubbish it's just when something is forced upon you, it doesn't feel as positive if that makes sense!!
I must admit to being very confused by the low carb high fat thing because my head says eating loads of fat cannot be good for other things but I know I have a lot of learning to do..just still stuck in the cycle of not being able to bear to look at it! So annoying hence why I am going to hopefully get some more therapy for the depression that has been sent into turmoil with this news xxx

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
@MissMac you will see this website strongly advocates the LCHF approach and you will see some great success stories of BS reduction levels. I fully recognise the need for caution and moderation of Carbs, but like you the HF goes against everything I have understood - particularly given 'we' are at s higher risk of CV issues than most.
There are of course other approaches and other guidance and advice you will be given - hence my point in my previous post - take on ALL the information then decide how you want to approach this.
As I said earlier I am still VERY new to this, but I have reduced my BS levels significantly AND my cholesterol stats all to normal levels. I have basically just cut the '****' (and booze) from my diet and eating very healthily - but I do still eat cereals , and the occasional sandwich with granary bread , and some flavoured rice With a salad.
I'm still bewildered and confused by some of the info I receive - but I just try to do what I think is right for me!

...... Hence my 'handle' of heretic!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Typicaltwo that's one for the Sky plus planner then, thank you! Think I might have seen something about it on the much hated (of mine) one show before I managed to switch over in haste! We have been talking for some time of cutting out a lot of the rubbish it's just when something is forced upon you, it doesn't feel as positive if that makes sense!!
I must admit to being very confused by the low carb high fat thing because my head says eating loads of fat cannot be good for other things but I know I have a lot of learning to do..just still stuck in the cycle of not being able to bear to look at it! So annoying hence why I am going to hopefully get some more therapy for the depression that has been sent into turmoil with this news xxx
You don't need to eat loads of fat. Just enough to make up the shortfall in calories from reducing your carbs and to keep you from feeling hungry.

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been diagnosed for 5 months. Terrified, unexpected and terrified! This forum has been my lifeline ask and somebody will be able to help you. LCHF diet is the key and testing testing is key. What you feel right now is perfectly normal....all been there. It's life changing but it does become easier. It is restricting but believe me 3 stone lighter, sugar cut out of diet, understanding of the effect of carbs on body and mind makes a life changing difference. Ask away I did and still do. Good luck and think that you will start to feel more human in a bit!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people
D

debrasue

Hi, @MissMac and welcome to the forums!

I was diagnosed T2 in March of this year and felt exactly the same as you. And I was as lucky as you in finding this website in my first week. What an eye-opener! And what a lifeline...

I read everything I could lay my hands on in the forums, asked about a billion questions, started on the Low Carb/High Fat programme (LCHF), began testing, and persuaded my GP to agree that I would not start on the Metformin he wanted to prescribe, but would instead try to see if I could make a difference through diet alone for the first 3 months.

And what a difference it made! Three months later my HbA1c had dropped from 63 to 42 (just within the 'normal' range), cholesterol down from 6.9 to 5.1 (ratio LDL/HDL down from 3.7 to 2.6), average BP dropped from 146/80 to 125/65, and I had lost 6 kilos. My diabetic nurse told me it was an amazing result and I should keep on doing whatever it was I was doing. She saw no reason for me to start taking the Metformin or any other medication. :joyful:

Since then I've lost another 3.5 kilos, my BP is still falling, and I can't wait for my next DN appointment in October!

I know that it's not for everyone, but for me personally this is my new life; LCHF works, it's easy, and it can produce very fast results. And I would not have achieved any of it without these forums. The help, welcome and support that I found here have been beyond anything I could have imagined, and now it feels like I'm part of a big, extended family.

So, welcome to the family, honey - you're going to love it here!

Read all you can in the forums and ask all your questions - nobody is going to become bored with you!

And good luck on your new, exciting journey of self-discovery.

Big hugs xxx

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

_Keyboard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi MissMac,& I was so taken aback from the story you tell.You say your a Nurse,& I am certain that those of us who suffer from this condition will maybe be confident knowing that a caring person such as yourself is herself working in whatever care service you work for,and that in itself will bring a lot of people confidence knowing you have also beenpossibly diagnosed with Diabetes ?.As for your depression,then that does affect all of us at certain periods throughout our lives,given the circumstances that may make us feel really fed up !!!.Believe me,I was diagnosed with T1 47 years ago,& I too have had periods of depression caused by the negative issues that are thrown to most of us.All I say is that whatever your told about your condition,I'm living proof that despite some terrible periods of my life I have had to put up with,think possotive even if your not feeling like it.It may interest viewers who read this that I was born 7 weeks premature,& breach and I weighed 3 and a half pounds.I was 19 when I was diagnosed,but despite our problems I have never felt better !!!!.Never allow diabetes to get you down.Just cheer up & be happy.

Paul x

Sent from my MZ604 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 5 people

MissMac

@_Keyboard.....nurse 2nd, human 1st! Though I am feeling a little better as time has gone on over this weekend and am slowly beginning to be able to bear looking at anything remotely related to this!
I have decided that low carb is the way ahead thank you SO much for the links and stuff so many of you have sent through..the dietdoctor one is just awesome....my issue is now trying to fit it around my life and making it so it becomes 2nd nature. Still keep bursting into tears and now back at work so that's not great but the team are...I just need to take some time out to be "at one" with myself and start the bake off (I cannot cook but gonna have to try) so that it becomes easier to cope when working..I'm waffling I know! Dr's tomorrow so let's see what they have to say and how up to date an on board they are!

Ditzy47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you will find that, once you get used to the idea of being diabetic or pre-diabetic, you will find that actually dealing with it, however you do it, you will find that it solves all sorts of problems that have been niggling away in the background for quite a long time and that, if you think about it, you might see that it was all that combined that is making you depressed. I had all sorts of niggly problems; night sweats around only the top of my body, head, neck and chest, asthma, headaches, either constipation or diarrhoea (or both), indigestion, unexplained bruising, itching, weight gain and cramps. None of it was bad enough for me to do anything about it, except the doctor gave me quinine tablets for the cramps and suggested the sweats were my hormones and treated me for asthma. No-one suggested they could all be attributed to the sugar levels but they were - it was only when I talked to a friend who had been diagnosed for years that I found out and then it all made sense. Yes, it was a shock to be told I had the disease but it explained so much that I soon realised it was a blessing to know and having dealt with my diet (a lot of years finding out what suits me - pineapples yes, bananas no) today I got the result that my bg is completely normal and no medication needed. Nice time of year, salads make meals easy - I don't do high fat either, just whatever I like the look of. Hope the appointment went well - if you don't feel it was helpful, come back to the forum. We will be.

MissMac

Right....one last question...ha ha you wish!!!! I have signed up for the low carb thing but seeing as I have already done all of the 3 challenges with my panic and depression I cannot wait for the 3 days to find out what's next...so my question is....is there a thread on here that is for low carb recipes cause I am struggling to find it tonight...someone has probably posted it before but as we all know by now I am a nightmare for retaining all info and trawling through stuff! xxx

Ditzy47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you go onto the 'search' button at the top and put in 'low carb' you will find a multitude of threads. Just remember that complex carbohydrates and sugar are the basic things. Particularly, pasta, bread, potatoes, anything with grains in, wheat, barley, etc. Don't go mad - it will give you bowel problems, just cut down on those things, maybe only have a little at one meal a day so if you had say salad and meat of some sort (or cheese, eggs, any sort of protein) for your main meal and a small sandwich for your other with eggs, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms for breakfast - even baked beans in moderation, that would be a reasonable day. Try this link http://www.coachmag.co.uk/nutrition/healthy-eating/1223/how-lose-fat-without-counting-calories but bear in mind all of this is just guidelines. Do what suits you once you have found out what constitutes carbohydrate. I have been diet only controlled for 16 years so if you need to ask anything, private message me and I will give you my email address - I know how confusing it is and I'm a patient woman.

MissMac

If you go onto the 'search' button at the top and put in 'low carb' you will find a multitude of threads. Just remember that complex carbohydrates and sugar are the basic things. Particularly, pasta, bread, potatoes, anYything with grains in, wheat, barley, etc. Don't go mad - it will give you bowel problems, just cut down on those things, maybe only have a little at one meal a day so if you had say salad and meat of some sort (or cheese, eggs, any sort of protein) for your main meal and a small sandwich for your other with eggs, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms for breakfast - even baked beans in moderation, that would be a reasonable day. Try this link http://www.coachmag.co.uk/nutrition/healthy-eating/1223/how-lose-fat-without-counting-calories but bear in mind all of this is just guidelines. Do what suits you once you have found out what constitutes carbohydrate. I have been diet only controlled for 16 years so if you need to ask anything, private message me and I will give you my email address - I know how confusing it is and I'm a patient woman.

You are my new hero!! Will do xxxx