So which is it then

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When my Codefree meter was a bit old and decrepit it started to eat the batteries first, then went haywire. Home Health replaced it for me, free of charge.

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
I have just bought the SD Codefree, after the two hour post-prandial test, I used first the SD Codefree, then the Contour next meter, the Contour next was higher by 0.2 on both occasions which seemed OK by me.

I have just bought the SD Codefree as my GP practice has decided to remove test strips from my repeats. I have to say that I amazed at the price difference between SD Codefree and bayer, just under £12 for a tub of 50 strips and 100 lancets, the VAT already removed two days for free delivery, where if you order anything from bayer/ascensia you can wait week's and they charge about three times more!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think most people on here say the codefree reads higher. Not sure what else to advise you.
Possibly the cheaper Codefree strips are not so accurate as the more expensive ones there must be a reason why they are cheaper than others. I use them myself but never take the reading as gospel just a rough guide. Knowing the number of diabetics that use the Codefree you would think other manufacturers would put the price of theirs down to get some of the market but they don't so there must be something we don't know about strips

S

serenity648

Possibly the cheaper Codefree strips are not so accurate as the more expensive ones there must be a reason why they are cheaper than others. I use them myself but never take the reading as gospel just a rough guide. Knowing the number of diabetics that use the Codefree you would think other manufacturers would put the price of theirs down to get some of the market but they don't so there must be something we don't know about strips
I think its more to do with NHS purchasing power keeping other strips costs higher. The manufacturers know they have a captive NHs market of users.

I see no reason why the cheaper strips for my codefree should be viewed as inferior or dubious simply because their manufacturers chooses not to charge more for them.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think its more to do with NHS purchasing power keeping other strips costs higher. The manufacturers know they have a captive NHs market of users.

I see no reason why the cheaper strips for my codefree should be viewed as inferior or dubious simply because their manufacturers chooses not to charge more for them.
I just think the other manufacturers would want to attract more of the market after all that's what usually happens these days with other things one manufacturer puts down prices and other follow suit

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just think the other manufacturers would want to attract more of the market after all that's what usually happens these days with other things one manufacturer puts down prices and other follow suit

There are very, very few people self funding test strips and meters compared with the millions receiving them via the NHS. The market dictates prices, and for the major manufacturers the market in the UK is the NHS. These manufacturers aren't terribly interested in the relatively few self funding.