Soft Drink Blunders

j220anm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I not only find this when I order Diet drinks but also when I order slim-line tonic to go with my Gin.. In one instance I ordered Gin and slim-line and was given a bottle of ordinary tonic... I said to the barman that I ordered slim-line tonic and he said..."Tastes the same" so I explained that I was diabetic and his answer was "Not my problem" and asked for the money for the drinks.. to which I said "No" he stated that he'd poured them... what was he supposed to do with them now and I said ... "Not my problem" and took my custom elsewhere.

I think the drinks industry miss a very important point here, this is not a choice it's a necessity... for those who are NOT Diabetic this is a choice.. If I was in charge I would serve only diet drinks in bars and restaurants and offer fully loaded ones as a choice... see how Joe public likes that !!!

Reactions: 6 people

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
I not only find this when I order Diet drinks but also when I order slim-line tonic to go with my Gin.. In one instance I ordered Gin and slim-line and was given a bottle of ordinary tonic... I said to the barman that I ordered slim-line tonic and he said..."Tastes the same" so I explained that I was diabetic and his answer was "Not my problem" and asked for the money for the drinks.. to which I said "No" he stated that he'd poured them... what was he supposed to do with them now and I said ... "Not my problem" and took my custom elsewhere.

I think the drinks industry miss a very important point here, this is not a choice it's a necessity... for those who are NOT Diabetic this is a choice.. If I was in charge I would serve only diet drinks in bars and restaurants and offer fully loaded ones as a choice... see how Joe public likes that !!!

I just love the way you served the barman for his/her arrogance! :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

In this instance the drink industry isn't as fault, it was the barman. Pleased you decided to take your custom elsewhere :)

Reactions: 2 people

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't drink fizzy drinks (hate the bubbles, feels like acid burning my mouth!!!) But I have had similar things happen in Starbucks as they do sugar free syrups, so in the summer I will get a sugar-free vanilla syrup iced latte rather than their frappés.
I try to always double check my order or say something like "please ensure it is the sugar free syrup" to make sure they've taken my order properly but I've still had a few times where they have used the regular syrup. I find that sweeter has a different kind of 'sweet' taste to sugar so I a couple of times I have taken just a sip and had my suspicions and then gone to check what they made it with or asked them to make it again, but one time it was only after I'd finished the drink and left the café and felt a bit 'swirly' that I realised the error.
I wish other high street cafés had the sugar free syrups though, I usually wouldn't go to Starbucks but I am not aware of any others that have them.
How do you find the milk effects you ? I've been avoiding lattes all togeather but wouldn't mind the odd one

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I hate it when I order regular pop and the server bring diet junk its like what are you trying to do send me on a trip to the ER with that poison? I can smell the difference between the diet junk and regular pop the diet stuff is so sickly sweet that it just smells wrong on oh so many different levels.