Solostar pen - other pen options?

njdavies

I have been using Aventis SoloStar pens for administering Lantus for just over a month now and seem to find that each pen is different in the way it dispenses the insulin ie how the dial turns related to the amount of force applied. Some of the pens seem to be a bit jerky and stick / stiff in the way the dial rotates.

Can anyone else advise whether they are having this issue, and if so would I be best looking at an OptiClik or some other pen with cartridges so I can get used to a single pen?

Thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Nigel

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Nigel,

That's funny, I use the opticlik pen and my next prescription is for the new solostar pens :( Don't know anyone who uses them, your the first one, I'll give them a go and report back. The opticlik pen are sturdy, and I don't have a problem with them, just my dsn thought I may prefer the solostar version.

Regards

Nigel

njdavies

Nigel

OK - would appreciate your feedback yes thanks - it may be the way I am using the SoloStar pen?

When are you starting on them?

Regards

Nigel

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nige,

I have only got it on my repeat prescription, I have a box of 5 cartridges to use before my next prescription. Be assured, I will get back to you, but I am sure that other type 1's will be along shortly who may use the solostar pens.

Nigel

iHs

Hi 2 Nigels :)

I couldnt get on with any of the Aventis pen devices so opted to use the Owen Mumford Autopen 24 which worked fairly well. My old consultant then told me that i could also use a Lilly Humapen as well and just put the 3ml Apidra or Lantus cartridges in the Lilly pen.

The Lilly pens come in half unit increments as well. I have a Luxura HD. Its very well made, looks like a fancy fountain pen and is robust enough to not need a case.

The only difference between the Lilly cartridges and the Aventis ones is the rubber bung at the end of the cartridge. Aventis have their bung right at the top so you have to screw a needle on to the pen first before screwing the rest of the pen together. Once done a small stream of insulin will shoot out but apart from doing usual prime of a few units, that's all you have to do.

njdavies

Hi iHs

Thanks for your advice - I will talk to my consultant and see which of the options you suggest he thinks is best.

Cheers

1 of 2 Nigels

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hi,
i use the solostar with my lantus and get on well with it, i have never had the problems you have so cant be of help really :?
hope u get sorted :D

jwilki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I also use Solostar pen for my Lantus and like totsy have not had any problems

Sorry can not be of more help

Regards
Jack

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nige,

I think its a case of the tradesman blaming his tools..............everybody else seems to manage with the solostar pen! :wink:

No doubt I'll hear from you soon!

Nigel

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
njdavis,

Nige, as promised, I said I would report back when I started using the solostar pens myself.

On my second pen now, don't seem to have a problem with them so far. I have not noticed any stiffness in the dial etc, to tell you the truth I much prefer the solostar pen to the opticlik pen now. Hope you got to resolve your problem!

Best wishes

Nigel

irishrichard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Nigel,

I use the Solostar Lantus and Solostar Apidra pens for the past 4 yrs and have never had any problems with them!
Don't really have an answer for you sorry!

Could be something stupid like the fridge temperature you store them in is too low?

njdavies

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback, and things have got better so I think it may well have been a case of a tradesman blaming his tools. :D
I think the issue is the way I have been injecting and as I have gone along, I have definitely got better so that more often than not the insulin is delivered smoothly out of the pen. But appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions so thanks all.
I may still talk to my consultant about opticlik, only on the basis that I feel a bit guilty chucking out a pen every 10 days which wont get recycled, whereas at least with cartridges you throw a smaller thing away.

Cheers

Nigel