Some advice please

JessT24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey right I type 2. Today I have been to see diabetic nurse to ask a lot of questions. One question I like to recive advice on is testing sugar levels .

Is it helpful to do this to see what foods are causing sugar levels to be high so you can get to grips with your diet ?

Thank u

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it helpful to do this to see what foods are causing sugar levels to be high so you can get to grips with your diet ?
That's why many people test, and especially those who are not on insulin.

Personally, I want to know how food, exercise, stress, and other aspects of my life effect my blood sugar levels. I can't really see how testing would be a bad thing.

Side note: good luck getting your doctor to prescribe test strips though. If you get any pushback, you may have to resort to asking him or her for a 1-3 month supply with the justification that you want to learn.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The easiest way is to keep off the sugar but I can eat basically everything and don't go for the diabetic chocolate or sweets as they are the same as ordinary sweets but that is about it

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey right I type 2. Today I have been to see diabetic nurse to ask a lot of questions. One question I like to recive advice on is testing sugar levels .

Thank u
Hi @JessT24 by testing your levels you can see what effect foods have on your BS. We are all different and have different tolerances however as well as sugar one of the worst things that a diabetic can eat is carbs and by testing you can work out how many you can eat. You may be lucky and get them on prescription but don't be surprised if you are unsuccessful!

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @JessT24 many people test to understand how food affects them. Although there is lots of info here food affects people differently, testing 2 hours post eating will help you understand what works for me.

Sadly most Docs won't prescribe texting strips, if you look on here someone will recommend best priced make if you want to self fund.

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
I have been diabetic T2 for quite a few years now and have only been testing for the past 5 weeks. My doctor has been reluctant to prescribe me strips but after years of no improvement and hba1c rising, he agreed to allow me to test. Since testing within 5 weeks I am beginning to lower my BG levels and take control. I still have a lot to learn and a long way to go but things are hopefully beginning to improve.

JessT24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's why many people test, and especially those who are not on insulin.

Personally, I want to know how food, exercise, stress, and other aspects of my life effect my blood sugar levels. I can't really see how testing would be a bad thing.

Side note: good luck getting your doctor to prescribe test strips though. If you get any pushback, you may have to resort to asking him or her for a 1-3 month supply with the justification that you want to learn.

Thank you everyone , I be purchasing a testing kit out my own pocket as dr won't prescribe. I hope to get it all under control to avoid going on medication. Thanks again

JessT24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey everyone I jess I single mum to two boys , I T2 for 1year aprox. Finding it hard to beat T2! Anyone wish to talk about how we are doing regularly , share good ideas , support one another .

I really like someone I can talk to about T2

Thank you xxx

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey Jess -- Type 1 here -- just bumping your post -- all the T2's have gone to bed early tonight :D

what sort of help do you need ?

replies should come in by tomorrow
all the best

S

Sean01

Hey right I type 2. Today I have been to see diabetic nurse to ask a lot of questions. One question I like to receive advice on is testing sugar levels .

Thank u
Yes, yes yes yes yes!
Last week I did an experiment. I standardised my diet for 6 days - same meals at the same time of day - including drinks and I tested 5-8 times a day
Now I have a base line. I know what I can achieve and I know how I feel
Now I can look at how other foods affect me personally.

You are on your own journey - you are unique - with your own tastes/preferences, daily schedule and energy output. Learn what works for you. take guidance and ideas from others around you - but don't think you should copy everything they do.

We support each other and keep each other going. We share ideas. We don't lay down laws!

Treat your body like an experiment - record everything - even moods. Learn from your results and modify accordingly

Good luck.

Reactions: 4 people

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exactly what Sean01 said

Test, record look at the evidence.

I have a selection of meals that I know only put my post prandial BS up by 0.5 - 1.0 mmol these are my go to when I am tired and do not want to think or am busy and do not have time to investigate and they are in my armoury to be used whenever.

Moods, stress, hydration, excercise will all effect your BS readings so write it all down.

Working out a daily average of readings is also useful as it stops you obsessing about the one high number a day, then chart your weekly averages so you can see a clear trend.

In an odd way I really enjoy the opportunity to see what makes my body tick.

JessT24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just ideas what meals to eat , what do we do when u feel so drained and worn out dispute good night sleep etc

JessT24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I never thought about recording how I feeling in myself . When are the best times to take readings my nurse last night said not when u get up first thing

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
maybe a bit more info about you in order to assist.

are you on any meds at all ??
do you have a blood glucose meter and strips ??
do you test your blood and if so -- how often ?
what sort of results do you get ?

One of the most important things you can do meal wise is to cut down on carbohydrates like potatoes , rice , pasta , and bread.
Eating a diet based around green veg , protein ( meat , eggs , cheese) and dairy will help your body to run lower bloods.

also tagging some lovely people I know for some support
@Prem51 , @Brunneria , @catherinecherub

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most people test when they first get up as that is your fasting level, please read up on Dawn Phenomenon as this reading can be a higher one and it can be a bit "***" this is also the last reading to come down so you have to bear with it a bit (hence my suggestion of doing a daily average).

Then before eating and two hours afterwards

If I am eating something new I will often test after one hour to see how it is effecting me and again at two hours.

I also test after exercise/activity but really it is up to you as long as you capture your first one of the day then before and after meals you will soon be gathering data.

S

Sean01

Hey everyone I jess I single mum to two boys , I T2 for 1year aprox. Finding it hard to beat T2! Anyone wish to talk about how we are doing regularly , share good ideas , support one another .

I really like someone I can talk to about T2

Thank you xxx
If I can help - happy to do so - in UK - so diff time zone - but workable. Not sure how much I can help. T2 since Oct 15 - diet, exercise and meds but with added complication of heart, blood pressure, IBS, asthma - oh yes and short and bald - bit not as fat as once was! I'm sure others will volunteer - It's a bit of a self help group - share ideas, motivations, etc - you are not alone. In fact on a good day, it can get quite busy!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
have you bought a meter yet? The expense of ongoing test strips can be a pain, especially during the initial phase of testing, when you are trying to find out what sends your bg up.

The cheapest meter and strips I know of is the SD Codefree, from Amazon, ebay or Homehealth, available online. It is much cheaper than running one of the more expensive ones over the counter in a high street shop.

Obviously, shop around, and don't take my word for it! But don't rush into an expensive meter either. :)

D

debrasue

Exactly what Sean01 said

Test, record look at the evidence.

I have a selection of meals that I know only put my post prandial BS up by 0.5 - 1.0 mmol these are my go to when I am tired and do not want to think or am busy and do not have time to investigate and they are in my armoury to be used whenever.

Moods, stress, hydration, excercise will all effect your BS readings so write it all down.

Working out a daily average of readings is also useful as it stops you obsessing about the one high number a day, then chart your weekly averages so you can see a clear trend.

In an odd way I really enjoy the opportunity to see what makes my body tick.
What are your go-to meals, @Lindy1706 ?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing can sound a bit daunting at first, but in reality you will soon get the hang of it, and what foods affect your blood glucose and by how much,

It is an essential part of gaining control, and the initial investment will repay you many times over.

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chicken, thighs roasted in duck fat with salad And feta cheese And mayo,

Lamb steaks marinated in olive oil, Rosemary And mint, then griddled And served with cucumber, tomato, onion And flat leaf parsley salad with feta And drizzled olive oil.

Home made burgers (beef mince or lamb mince) served with salad, tomatoes, sour pickled gerkins, cheddar cheese And mayo.

Rib eye steak served with salad, St Agur or Rocqfort cheese And mayo.

Salmon steak Baked with lemon And butter served with Asparagus and lots of butter!

Grilled pork chops with greek salad.

Mozzarella, tomato And basil salad with a goodly serving of olive oil

Cheese omlette served with serano ham

And newly discovered last week the chicken omlette from my local Chinese take away :)

All of above can be pretty much guaranteed to give me after two hours post prandial either no raise at all, or a raise between 0.5 And 1:0 mmol.