Some Advice Please!

Becky1992

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here! I am a type 1 diabetic on insulin, diagnosed a year ago and am hoping for some advice from some more experienced diabetics.
I have been controlling my bloods well for about 6 months after diagnosis, not so much in the past 6 months though. I seem to be experiencing mid morning highs, ranging from 15mmols to 30 mmols. I have the same breakfast everyday and was on a 1:10 ratio. I phoned my clinic on 3 occasions, the first 2 times the highs were blamed on me recovering from illness, the third time i suggested upping just my breakfast ratio and they agreed i should try this. Since then i am on a 1.5:10 ratio for breakfast and although i am not experiencing readings in the 30's, they are still high enough to make me feel awful. I know the logical answer is to up my breakfast ratio again, perhaps to 2:10 but if I do correction doses (equating to a 2:10 ration) i often hypo. I'd really appreciate some advice because I'm worried these persistent highs will affect my next hba1c.
Thanks

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What's happening in the afternoon?
It might be that your basal is too low during the day
Have you done any basal testing?

edit whoops, I meant high sorry.

Becky1992

My bloods are back to normal when I test before dinner, always under 12mmols, I have tried upping my levemir and it has often resulted in hypos around mid afternoon :?

leggott

It might help to do some fasting tests to see what happens in the morning. If you don't have any breakfast or perhaps have something small ( non carb), you can then test every hour or so to see whether your bg rises. It your bg does rise then you will need to increase the basal. If by increasing the basal you hypo mid afternoon, it might be that your lunch ratio is wrong and that you may need less insulin at lunch.

Becky1992

I do a fasting blood test every morning before breakfast and am usually between 6-8 mmols, ive tried not having breakfast and they still go up. My only worry with upping my levemir is that if my bloods are normal pre breakfast ill be at risk of hypoing in the night or early morning? i'll have a play around, perhaps changing my lunch ratio, thanks.

leggott

It is a tricky one as if you change one thing to improve another it can have a negative impact at another time in the day. Your waking BG is excellent and I can totally inderstand you not wanting to medle with your basal insulin. We did have this problem with my son before we used a pump. to avoid mid morning highs we would need to give more insulin at breakfast but then a small mid morning snack to avoid him falling too low before lunch. Again not an ideal solution, but this worked well for him and meant he could have a small piece of fruit mid morning without the need for an injection.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Becky1992

I have exactly the same problem. Wake up with perfect BG and it rises into double figures without me touching a single carb, no matter how much Novorapid (previously Humalog) I take to try and get it down. Makes me very irritable, but I am working at finding out what the cause is.

Robert