Some advice/tips for a new starter?

mmackay20040

Hi,
I'm very keen to get into a proper lowcarb diet for diabetes control and also weight loss. However, I was wondering if someone could give me a sort of meal plan on what sort of things I should be eating?! I've been diabetic for 18 years (since age 6) and my lowest HbA1c to date has been 8.0. :cry: I'm sure you can see that something has to change. I've also got to over 15 stone without eating a huge amount so I'm trying to get into the mindset to try this properly. I tried this before for about 3 weeks and wasn't really sure what I was doing! Once I realised I had ketones, I stopped but after reading Fergus's low carb thread and learning about the 2 different kinds of ketones, I'm ready to give it my all. The only problem now is that I'm not sure where to start or what to eat?! :?

If any of you experienced 'lowcarbers' could lend a hand to a newbie, I'd really, really appreciate it. :D

M xx

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
When my endo told me not to eat any carbs, I thought he was mad. I researched on the net about the dangers of cutting carbs first. Found Atkins- "The Diabetes Revolution" first and because it made sense I started and watched my BGLs fall. Then I found Dr Richard Bernstein's "The Diabetes Solution". He was even more tight and made even more sense ashe is a long term T1 who is now in his late 70's and running a massive diabetes practice in USA.
Both books have recipes and from there I could "see" what a low carb meal consisted of. I tailored it to my own country and searched low carb recipes on forums and the internet. I believe that I am classed as very low carb at around 30 grams a day (with increased fat) and my last three A1cs are in the non-diabetic range and I take no medications. I am a T2 but Bernstein capably deals with both.