paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Carbdodger said:
Sometimes people respond best to drastic changes. There is a tendency on here at times to be all softly softly and not get people to face up to the real dangers.
Cd

Gotta agree with that as this can be a life threatening condition and something we need to take control of today and not tommorow as I've seen a lot of "Back on the wagon tommorow" type posts quoted over many months from diabetics around the various fora yet tommorow never comes!

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
paul-1976 said:
Carbdodger said:
Sometimes people respond best to drastic changes. There is a tendency on here at times to be all softly softly and not get people to face up to the real dangers.
Cd

Gotta agree with that as this can be a life threatening condition and something we need to take control of today and not tommorow as I've seen a lot of "Back on the wagon tommorow" type posts quoted over many months from diabetics around the various fora yet tommorow never comes!

But your not talking to the person your talking to the partner, going to pop round and force feed him?

Not your choice.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I agree with Mongoose.
Either you're ready, and committed to make a drastic change, or you're not.
OP's husband isn't. And whether he should or not is also a good question.

A few changes to get the bs down to a reasonable level is a good enough start.
As a heart bypass patient on that cocktail of drugs maybe a diet heavy is salty processed high fat foods isn't a good alternative either.
One size doesn't fit all.

Organic is good, so clearly the op is trying to eat healthy herself. Eating the same would be easier to cope with.
But the big question.
So how do you get someone who hasn't cared for twelve years to change?
Madbazzo I think has the right approach.

"My advice would be to eliminate all sweets, cakes, biscuits, sugary drinks including most fruit juices, white bread, potatoes in most forms, vegetables grown below ground, white rice, pasta, pizza, pies and fried foods. Also anything using refined white flour. Watch out for all breakfast cereals which can be high in both carbs and sugar. If buying supermarket packaged, tinned or frozen foods look for the traffic light symbols and avoid most things with red lights.

Substitute wholegrain seeded bread, brown rice, wholemeal pasta, green vegetables (or grown above ground as less starch). Increase your proteins such as lean meats, chicken, fish, eggs etc"

andreaabbott1

Right here goes Hubby didn't eat his lunch
I made tomato and mozzarella low fat, with baby spinach leafs
with 5ml of virgin olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon as a dressing.
2 hrs after lunch what tiny bit he ate his BG was 14.6 mmol

for tea I gave in to his demands and grilled him 4 rashers of back bacon
oven cooked tomato just one
oven cooked mushrooms 4 of them
and 3 new potatoes skins on sliced and cooked in olive oil and herbs in the oven

its now 10.6 mmol

I am finding the carb thing hard so might just go low GI as this is reasonably low in carbs and all of us could eat the same

andreaabbott1

I should just add I only use wholemeal organic pasta but hubby wont eat pasta
and Bastami whole organic rice

I cook with a lot of chicken organic greek yogurt and creme fraiche
I don't purchase processed foods at all

he will eat my meals it is then what he does after.
he snacks in the evening on crisps, cream crackers, cheese pickled onions, and lollipops

he cant drive passed a Mcdonalds with out getting a crunch Mcflurry and 2 apple pies.
he cant leave a supermarket with out a pack of 4 fresh custard creams

I have told him, his son have told him.

he hasnt read any literary on type 2 apart from skimming across the bits that say if you have a cold your blood sugars will go up

and of course he always insists he has flu as his muscles ache and he is tired and has a headache, and those symptoms are the reason his sugar is high
Like i said even 12 year he is still in denial
now as his wife do I give in completely and watch him kill himself.
Do I walk away completely because he is really trying my patients

obviously and sorry to be blunt nothing goes on in the bedroom department because for 3 years now he cant get an erection

obviously nerve damage
but to him its his medication.

I am no saint I had cancer of the uterus and even after a hysterectomy and half bladder removal I have been on steroids so I am twice the woman I used to be
I smoke
but I do go to the gym and am addressing my problems because I want to be here when I get Grand babies

andreaabbott1

I should just add I only use wholemeal organic pasta but hubby wont eat pasta
and Bastami whole organic rice

I cook with a lot of chicken organic greek yogurt and creme fraiche
I don't purchase processed foods at all

he will eat my meals it is then what he does after.
he snacks in the evening on crisps, cream crackers, cheese pickled onions, and lollipops

he cant drive passed a Mcdonalds with out getting a crunch Mcflurry and 2 apple pies.
he cant leave a supermarket with out a pack of 4 fresh custard creams

I have told him, his son have told him.

he hasnt read any literary on type 2 apart from skimming across the bits that say if you have a cold your blood sugars will go up

and of course he always insists he has flu as his muscles ache and he is tired and has a headache, and those symptoms are the reason his sugar is high
Like i said even 12 year he is still in denial
now as his wife do I give in completely and watch him kill himself.
Do I walk away completely because he is really trying my patients

obviously and sorry to be blunt nothing goes on in the bedroom department because for 3 years now he cant get an erection

obviously nerve damage
but to him its his medication.

I am no saint I had cancer of the uterus and even after a hysterectomy and half bladder removal I have been on steroids so I am twice the woman I used to be
I smoke
but I do go to the gym and am addressing my problems because I want to be here when I get Grand babies

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Your meals indeed are very good.
The cheese and pickles are good.
Even the bacon tea isn't bad.
Low GI is a very good option.

It's the snacks, and the Mcdonalds.

Get a pack of two custard creams.
Crisps - there are other options, such as the beetroot type, or some of the prawn cracker type, which may not spike as much.
Try to get him on meaty snacks, or cheese.
I found I replaced my sweet tooth with chili, or spices, to still get the flavour kick.
It's uphill, and tbh, if you have the bad snacks in the house, it sounds like he'll still be eating them.

WhitbyJet

As a low carber I know that low carb works at keeping bg levels where I want them to be, I also know that for various reasons low carb isnt suitable for everyone. People need to enjoy what they are eating, not everyone can go cold turkey on the carbs, gently does it for some.

Andrea try to incorporate more veggies into the diet, eg say you are making shepherds pie, replace some of the potato with cauli, pumpkin or celeriac. Buy a low carb bread such as Livlife from Waitrose, I havent tried this bread yet because I bake my own and also we have no Waitrose up here, but I have been told that its quite a nice bread.

If you increase veggies, a bit more protein and healthy fats your husband will feel full for longer and reduce snacking in between meals, does he eat nuts, almonds and walnuts are said to be good for heart patients?

A combination of reduced carbs and low GI is probably more family friendly and easier to maintain in your current situation. Just see how you go, you can adapt and adjust as you go along.

I enclose a link that you and husband may find interesting
http://www.sott.net/article/242516-Hear ... rt-Disease

All the best x

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I never found eating fats made me feel full.
Gave me indigestion though. :)
But most of my snacking was out of habit.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sweet potato and cauli is a good mix as well.

WhitbyJet

douglas99 said:
I never found eating fats made me feel full.
Gave me indigestion though. :)
But most of my snacking was out of habit.

I see the op husband cant drive past McDonalds, so he is probably coping quite well with fatty foods, apple pie and mcflurry thingies are not low fat, or are they? I have no idea.

Andrea, can you create McFlurry type dessets at home, sugar free, also look in the Chocolate Paradise thread here for truffle recipes that will not raise blood sugar. My way of thinking is that if your husband eats more veg, protein and fat at meal times he is less likely to snack, and if there are ready snacks available he might be less inclined to go out to buy sugary snacks?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
WhitbyJet said:
I see the op husband cant drive past McDonalds, so he is probably coping quite well with fatty foods, apple pie and mcflurry thingies are not low fat, or are they? I have no idea.

Andrea, can you create McFlurry type dessets at home, sugar free, also look in the Chocolate Paradise thread here for truffle recipes that will not raise blood sugar. My way of thinking is that if your husband eats more veg, protein and fat at meal times he is less likely to snack, and if there are ready snacks available he might be less inclined to go out to buy sugary snacks?

crunch Mcflurry and 2 apple pies.

A crunch Mcflurry is ice cream, high sugar, with broken crunchie in it.
Apple pie, apart from whatever they put in the pastry with the white flour, it's mainly sugar, and sugar on the pastry as well.
So maybe not the high fat diet you are associating with a stream of big macs.

And as a heart bypass, still high fat?

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snobs! Angry people who keep getting angry and can't calm down.
Good luck Andrea. I have been diagnosed for a year now and have addressed many issues such as almost completely cutting out chocolate and cakes. I have also increased my exercise levels, with walking, pressups and the odd 10 minute run to or from a Tube station! So far I have not gone down the road of testing my levels, but think I will start for a New Year resolution. I still have a way to go in drastically cutting down on carbs I reckon. My GP seems to be happy with the overall picture with me, but I am aware that it is the sugar "spikes" that are harmful.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

andreaabbott1

well for the first time in 10 year the his blood sugar was out of double figures this morning at 9.6, I know still to high but keep in mind normally around the 17.6 mark

he got himself breakfast of 2 boiled eggs no bread, and for lunch I made him an open sandwich on the low carb waitrose bread he insisted on boiled egg with cress, blood sugars havent gone below 8 but havent gone to 10 either.

this afternoon though he has had to rush for the loo with watery runs but this isnt unusual for him This has gone on some time, I feel its medication related and also any time he is stressed or upset he gets the runs.

I have thrown out all fizzy drinks so his only option is water
I made up some water this morning with a fresh lemon squeezed in it and put it in the fridge

I took the GI book shopping and have stocked up on organic cauliflower, broccoli, kale , of course he is still moaning but hey ho
I am dragging him to the gym this evening as well :)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sliced orange and cucumber in a jug of water, and left in the fridge is good as well.

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done in getting those BG levels down. It takes a little time to really get them down but he (you) has made a great start. Keep up the good work and give him plenty of encouragement.

Let us all know of your progress.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there Andrea, Maybe, your husband may need to be on insulin as well as the metformin??? I am 65 years old diagnosed type 1 4 years ago and have recently started taking metformin SR 2x500 at breakfast and 2X 500 at tea. It is ment to help with insulin resistance but my insulin intake of novorapid has increased. However, I've noticed that my BGs are more steady when I do activities BGs like lifting etc. Before the tablets my BGs dropped like a stone within half a hour. Good luck, hope ypu can get your husbands' down.

andreaabbott1

we are in trouble still, been really good on the low carb stuff and no sugar, blood sugars are averaging 13.6 in the mornings but are 8.9 before bed
and still around 10.6 in the day
hubby has had a constant headache, this is his description of the headache
heavy head, feels like a pressure in his head,pain in the eyes, uncomfortable stomach,
he hasn't cheated and has realized he cant eat any bread, crackers etc
he is not taking the metformin at all because it had him running for the loo every 30 mins

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi andreabbott1,i am new to this myself, but it sounds like your hubby may be dehydrated, i drink 3, 1 lt bottles of Tesco hint of flavour spring water, plus 7 or 8 black weak coffees a day , since going carb and sugar free. variety is the spice of life.