1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Son has hearing loss

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by conniecar, Mar 6, 2020.

1. conniecar

conniecar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Found out today my son aged 20 has bi-lateral mild to moderate hearing loss. I’m gutted as he’s planning to join the police ☹️ He’s not diabetic but I have had it 44 years and have read that maybe his hearing loss is connected? It’s his inner ear and he’s waiting for tests to look at the structure. I’m so upset as he’s really healthy and I was so proud to produce a perfect baby, despite pre eclampsia all those years ago. Anyone on here who’s ever had children will know that hurdle of trying so hard to get it right for 9 months X

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

A difficult adjustment in coming to terms with this, however, depending on the level of hearing loss and whether hearing aids compensate this would not automatically bar him from serving as a police officer. The Home Office guidance is that there is a requirement for an individual assessment by one of their doctors.

3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @conniecar ,

I'm sorry to read your son has a hearing impairment.

I'm not a parent, but I am a T1 son. I know my mother was always just happy I was content doing what I do. & that I made the right choices for me.
    We don't all grow up in a sterile labortitory glass environment & sometimes it's the luck of the draw..
    Looking at your profile you & I are approximately a similar age..
    My mum these days has Alzheimers. my sister & I afford the same dignity in return as carers..

Best wishes to your son on his tests. & his future plans.

4. conniecar

Thank you - yesterday I was just upset, today I’ve got it in perspective. The police do do independent testing and I also have a mother in law recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, so thank you both for your kind words

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. woollygal

woollygal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I got diagnosed with middle ear deafness (it’s now about 50%) on one ear. Don’t think mines related to diabetes as I have another condition but how is deafness relegated to diabetes (I’m type 2 )

6. conniecar

My son doesn’t have diabetes but I’ve been type 1 for a long time. I’ve had a hearing test this week and it’s 100%. I’ve read that genes can play a part if the mother has diabetes it can affect their children. This only applies to the mother genetically. Both parents can have a mutated gene that causes deafness. I’m interested in the diabetes and mother one. Thanks though. X

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook