Son newly diagnosed

Worriedmum26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi, this is my first post
So basically 2 months ago my four year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes , and it's so hard to come to term with for me more than him. As a mother I feel devestated that I have to inject him as he hates needles and I hate hurting him , he's used to more now but he's always asking why it's happened to him suddenly.
I want him to have the best treatment so this situation isn't as bad, like what's the best blood glucose monitor as it the least painful , and what's better injections or pump, I mentioned the pump to his nurse and she didn't seem keen , I feel as they just want me to get along with the routine I've made but I don't want my son to endure 4 injections daily for the rest of his life, which scares me.
Is there anybody that has a child and how are they coping and what's best pump or injections

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
hi worriedmum26, my son was DX. just 4 weeks ago, it is very hard until this day, I've cried everynight, cant focus on my work. we've just dealing with it on a daily basis. by the way, my son is 14 and I know regardless of their age still it hurts for us parents to see our children endure those endless bg checking and injecting insulin. But anyway, just be strong and always keep in mind that your child needs you now more than ever. keep the faith.
you and your son and everyone here who has a child/children who has diabetes are always in my prayers.

take care,
ivm18

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi worriedmum26. i haven't had to watch children go through this and I imagine it must be horrible, but most of us feel that our relatives have a just as difficult time as we do adjusting to the diagnosis and new lifestyle.

From what I've learned there are mixed feelings about pumps, Some think they're a godsend others think the tubes get in the way etc. So there probably isn't a straightforward answer to your question. Take a look at the following thread.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/to-pump-or-not-to-pump.73088/

I also believe that there's a waiting list for pumps and the nice people at NHS like to make sure that you've got your blood sugars under control before you're fitted with one because they are expensive. I think I remember that @noblehead recently got fitted with a pump so he may have some extra info for you.

Good luck with your son, have a look around the other forums for advice, (especially dietary). There is a lot of help available here and people are very willing to pass on their experiences.

Welcome

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There's some good advice and information in the following about insulin pumps:

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/

Another option to reduce the amount of injections you son is taking is to go on twice daily injections rather than basal/bolus, speak with your boys consultant and explain to them about your concerns.

Worriedmum26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for the advice, can anyone also advise me on carb free snacks for a child , because he hates salad or give me a link, would be a lot of help.

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for the advice, can anyone also advise me on carb free snacks for a child , because he hates salad or give me a link, would be a lot of help.
Hi my 2 year old daughter also diagnosed at Christmas so I feel what you are going through. It does get easier for them with time. I can say that I have been at the lowest point ever after her diagnosis as I struggle badly with the anxiety of what's going on, is she hyper or hypo! I Am coming to terms with things but it all takes time. My daughter is now coping a lot better with it than I am. Carb free snacks are nuts, meat, cheeses. Low carbs hummous, few blueberries,( handful is about 6g ) blackberries are also low in carbs. Carbs and cals app for phone or book I have found very useful for carb counting. My daughter ate me out of house and home when she got home after diagnosis so to have a pile of carb free snacks around helped us out to. Hope you are ok, be strong from one mummy to another. X

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not sure what you have in mind when talk about snacks?
Does he like cheese? nuts? olives? Berries are not usually too bad. How about dark chocolate that's over 70-80% cocoa? (This can be expensive but there are cheaper alternatives at lidl and aldi if you have one nearby.) Not carb free but better than milk chocolate.
Eggs are ok also.You can make an omelette or scramble them with bacon etc.

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Out of interest Would you find that milk chocolate will cause you to spike @urbanracer? Or do you just mean the sugar contents is higher in milk chocolate?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Out of interest Would you find that milk chocolate will cause you to spike @urbanracer? Or do you just mean the sugar contents is higher in milk chocolate?
The overall carb content per 100g of 70/80% dark chocolate is usually lower than milk chocolate.

elod

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
hi, this is my first post
So basically 2 months ago my four year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes , and it's so hard to come to term with for me more than him. As a mother I feel devestated that I have to inject him as he hates needles and I hate hurting him , he's used to more now but he's always asking why it's happened to him suddenly.
I want him to have the best treatment so this situation isn't as bad, like what's the best blood glucose monitor as it the least painful , and what's better injections or pump, I mentioned the pump to his nurse and she didn't seem keen , I feel as they just want me to get along with the routine I've made but I don't want my son to endure 4 injections daily for the rest of his life, which scares me.
Is there anybody that has a child and how are they coping and what's best pump or injections
Hi, I have just found this site, my 10 year old son was diagnosed type 1 just 6 weeks ago, sometimes the injections are very painful and it breaks my heart to see him trying to be brave, I do some of the injections and it is horrible to hurt him. He gets very fed up sometimes but things are getting a bit better and on a good day I can see the boy he was before being diagnosed.We have been discussing using a pump and he is going to try one out in the easter holidays, the one with the bluetooth and no tubes, I will post how he gets on with it. Our nurse is very positive about it and there is a 4 year old girl and a 5 year old boy in our area that use pumps, good luck and try to be strong. I will answer anything you ask but it is a very confusing condition wish it was just 4 injections a day without worrying about diet, exercise hypos and all the rest. o_O

Reactions: 8 people

Worriedmum26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys, it's made me feel like I'm not the only one feeling like this.i think that because unfortunaly diabetes seems popular I just find it hard that there's no cure.and hypos while he's sleeping scares me , the first week I couldn't sleep just wanted to keep a eye on him.
He's vey picky he doesn't like salad and cheese but he's ok with nuts and meat ,I just thought mayb there's some that I don't know about but I think that's it.
And elod I can totally relate about the up and down days , his behaviour has become a lot moody since he's beeen diagnosed but there are some good days when he reminds me of how he used to be.
And I would love it if u kept me updated on his pump use. I didn't know there was a pump without tubes that uses Bluetooth
Again thank u so much sometimes friends and relatives try to be understand but they don't really know how it feelsxxxxxx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Worriedmum26, the 85% cocoa dark chocolate are low in carbs, Aldi do one where each pack contains 5 individual bars at around 4g of carbs each, your son may get away without injecting for such a small amount but whether or not he would like the taste is a different matter, as chocolate with a high cocoa content isn't as sweet as milk chocolate.

Reactions: 3 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
And elod I can totally relate about the up and down days , his behaviour has become a lot moody since he's beeen diagnosed but there are some good days when he reminds me of how he used to be.
I understand that high BGs can make one a bit tetchy, and prior to D-day I experienced this myself without understanding what was going on. I 'feel' almost serene now that I'm down to reasonable levels. A persons emotions can be directly affected by BG control, I'm not saying categorically that it's the reason for any mood swings but it may be worth bearing in mind. You could probably see if there is any correlation without too much difficulty.