Sorry more questions/libre advice

samantha13

I'm so sorry for tormenting you all with these questions. I am trying to read think like a pancreas and do my own research I just find it hard to transfer that info to my day to day life if that makes sense

So my aim is to reduce my a1c to aid my husband and I with the adoption process. Last a1c was 8.9% but I hadn't really been trying what with being badly depressed. Anyway. Now I am trying so hard!

Started my libre sensor last night and I assume I'm aiming to get better control from figuring out which foods spike me the most so therefore avoid those foods in future? Now my question is, my DSN tells me to look at the 2hour post meal bg and aim for below 9. But I've seen a lot on here who look at the 1hour post meal bg. What should that be?

Thanks for your patience with me :)

(I'm type 1 on levimer and novorapid with metformin 500mg breakfast and evening meal).

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm so sorry for tormenting you all with these questions. I am trying to read think like a pancreas and do my own research I just find it hard to transfer that info to my day to day life if that makes sense

So my aim is to reduce my a1c to aid my husband and I with the adoption process. Last a1c was 8.9% but I hadn't really been trying what with being badly depressed. Anyway. Now I am trying so hard!

Started my libre sensor last night and I assume I'm aiming to get better control from figuring out which foods spike me the most so therefore avoid those foods in future? Now my question is, my DSN tells me to look at the 2hour post meal bg and aim for below 9. But I've seen a lot on here who look at the 1hour post meal bg. What should that be?

Thanks for your patience with me :)

(I'm type 1 on levimer and novorapid with metformin 500mg breakfast and evening meal).
2 hours post-prandial should be less than 9mmol/l, so you're right with that:)

The reason why some of us test at 1hr postprandial, as well as 2hrs, is to ascertain just how large a spike we're getting. Basically, testing at 1hr will let you see just how high your BG gets, as most of us will find that our BG is at it's highest around about this time.

There is no guidance for what your 2hr post-prandial reading should be, but the short and fast answer is as low as you can make it without a hypo.

The good news for you is that you can test (scan) as much as you like with the Libre system and not have to worry about running out of strips or getting sore fingers:)

FYI, the Libre can lag about 15 minutes behind your actual BG - so technically speaking, your 1hr post-prandial reading may be more like 45mins...

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You'll find now you're a Libre user you will be addicted to bipping the sensor and looking at the graph, and you will see any spikes that you can then work on ironing out. When I relied solely on blood glucose testing I had absolutely no clue that my sugars were spiking so high within that 2-hour window. I'm so glad I've been able to a) see that, and b) do something about it.

The 'do something about it' bit for me has been to bolus insulin earlier than I used to (I used to inject just before a meal, now I take my pump bolus 20-30 minutes before I eat; to recognise that protein spikes me so I now bolus insulin for, say, hardboiled eggs, and finally I now avoid my favourite curry sauce altogether because I just CANNOT get THAT spike sorted......!

You will get there with your HbA1c sooner than you think, by reacting to the lines on your Libre graph, @samantha13 . And I wish you and your husband all the very best with your family.

:)