Sound familiar to anyone

Sazla

I’m suddenly having an abrupt but sustained change in blood sugar and need for insulin. I was diagnosed just 6 months ago and at the beginning of December had a hba1c of 42.. so feeling very happy and thinking I got this. Well December has been horrendous. I’m struggling to keep my blood sugar below 10 and it’s often up above 15. I’ve increased my long acting by a couple of units and my short acting by almost double( a ratio of 10:1 isn’t touching it) I’ve been ill (nasty cold) and it’s been Christmas with all its excesses but is it down to this. Am I getting to the end of my honeymoon period. I’m so conscientious and finding this lack of control overwhelming. I’ve had 2 days of non festive food intake and upped my activity (in everyday life I’m v active) but this isn’t helping. I’m going to speak to my diabetic nurse tomorrow who is ace but thought I’d ask here as I’m finding it very tough

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I felt a little bit of relief to see your post as I’ve had something similar happen to me over the last few days - been very unwell and obviously Christmas has it’s part to play. I’m hoping being back on track food wise and starting to come to the end of the illness will make a difference :)

Sazla

I felt a little bit of relief to see your post as I’ve had something similar happen to me over the last few days - been very unwell and obviously Christmas has it’s part to play. I’m hoping being back on track food wise and starting to come to the end of the illness will make a difference :)

Good to know it not just me. Hope we’re both back on track soon

Reactions: KesLouise

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m suddenly having an abrupt but sustained change in blood sugar and need for insulin. I was diagnosed just 6 months ago and at the beginning of December had a hba1c of 42.. so feeling very happy and thinking I got this. Well December has been horrendous. I’m struggling to keep my blood sugar below 10 and it’s often up above 15. I’ve increased my long acting by a couple of units and my short acting by almost double( a ratio of 10:1 isn’t touching it) I’ve been ill (nasty cold) and it’s been Christmas with all its excesses but is it down to this. Am I getting to the end of my honeymoon period. I’m so conscientious and finding this lack of control overwhelming. I’ve had 2 days of non festive food intake and upped my activity (in everyday life I’m v active) but this isn’t helping. I’m going to speak to my diabetic nurse tomorrow who is ace but thought I’d ask here as I’m finding it very tough
I think this is about being ill with a nasty cold which will send your blood sugars up. Has your DN given you instructions for coping with 'sick days' with your information pack when you were initially diagnosed? A very good idea to ring her tomorrow.

Reactions: Sazla

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I spent 2 days hardly getting down into single figures. I'm assuming I'm getting a cold.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also suspect you being ill has something to do with it- you may also be a bit more stressed around the Christmas period so that too will have an effect- have you changed your exercise? So many things effect your levels.

However, I'm not on any medication and I'm not sure what type of diabetes you have so not really able to provide any other advice. Going back to your nurse is a good idea as they may be able to suggest something.

Good luck.