Type 1 Spaghetti bolognese - split bolus help

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So, I thought I’d give pasta another go and had spaghetti for lunch. My current carb ratio is 1:15 so I thought I would split and give half (1 unit) after eating at 12.30 (it was 30g spaghetti) and then wait for it to rise until I gave the other half but it’s now after 6 pm and it’s still not risen? Is this normal? I’ve no idea how to have dinner if I haven’t even injected for lunch? It was a small portion of white spaghetti (pre-cooked, cooled and reheated) and small portion of mince. I guess at least I didn’t have a hypo which was my fear but not to rise at all yet?? Thanks

j@mez

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
30 grams of cooked spaghetti isn't 30 grams of carbs, it's hardly even 10 grams i think, so if u add that other food it prolly makes sense that u didn't rise... or maybe i misunderstood and u meant 30 grams of carbs in ur pasta?

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
30 grams of cooked spaghetti isn't 30 grams of carbs, it's hardly even 10 grams i think, so if u add that other food it prolly makes sense that u didn't rise... or maybe i misunderstood and u meant 30 grams of carbs in ur pasta?

Hi, yes it was 30g carbs (95g cooked spaghetti). It’s almost 9.30 and still only had a small rise - but think from snacks and low carb dinner. It’s pretty strange, I can’t understand what’s happened!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Cheese topping? Parmesan is an absolute sod for mucking up my dose timing. Or perhaps you did a bit more exercise in the morning which skewed your carb ratio. Oh, and you're type LADA, sometimes the pancreas in type LADAs can suddenly have a fit of working better.

Try the meal again, and don't be surprised if you don't get the same results. Diabetes likes throwing curveballs.

Reactions: oldgreymare

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheese topping? Parmesan is an absolute sod for mucking up my dose timing. Or perhaps you did a bit more exercise in the morning which skewed your carb ratio. Oh, and you're type LADA, sometimes the pancreas in type LADAs can suddenly have a fit of working better.

Try the meal again, and don't be surprised if you don't get the same results. Diabetes likes throwing curveballs.

Thanks, I’m wondering if it was one of my random carb ratio change days - sometimes I go from 1:15 to 1:35 or 1:40 for a few days then slowly back to 1:15. Bit annoying as I get so anxious trying out new foods and haven’t got close to understanding pasta ever. Think it was perhaps that, random honeymoon phase pancreas suddenly working for a wee bit thing like you said. I’ll try again next week with it!

Reactions: oldgreymare