Spare Libre in Airport

dxlala

Hi, I've looked through the threads about carrying and wearing the FreeStyle Libre in airports but have an odd question I didn't see mentioned.

For my spare libres, can I take them unboxed or is it safer to keep them packaged in their boxes? Has anybody had any experience with it?

Would just save me space in my handbag if it's all good to be carried without the packaging! Thanks

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would open them and take a letter from my GP I case.

tbh I have not traveled with Libre yet.

Good luck

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have traveled with Libre in my arm and Libre in a box.
The security at the airport don't bat an eye at either. They are not detectable and are no risk so I do not offer information regarding them

I DO tell them about my pump but only because it cannot be x rated

In short, take spare Libre however you want. Doctor's letters are not necessary for sensors

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would open them and take a letter from my GP I case.

tbh I have not traveled with Libre yet.

Good luck
Libre can be purchased without prescription so GP may not know about it. There is no need for a letter for Libre. Plus GPs charge for letters.

Reactions: Yaya10_10

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't have a libre but do take a bagful of meds with me including Schedule 3 controlled drugs. I pack them in a large transparent bag and take it out so they can see it. Most times the staff ignore it, although after avoiding the xray machine they carefully scan me with the hand scanner and test for other drugs! It takes about 5-10 mins extra for me to get through the checks so do allow more time.

edit: I do take the original boxes

dxlala

Thanks for the replies guys, it's reassuring that security won't be too bothered about it at least

I've been lucky that my dietician wrote me a travel letter (without me even asking!) when I mentioned my plans so I guess I should be fine.

Thank you all again!

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Covid aside i travel to the canaries twice a year and all my type 1 gubbins including spare boxed libres are in my hand luggage with a copy of my prescription.
I've never had an issue.

Tony