TazziT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Advacados
Hi All,

Quick question do people who test reguarly tend to have more than one meter and if so are they the same or do people go for something different.

Reason for asking is I am currently 45 miles from my meter and there is no way I'm driving back to get it now.

Thanks...

D

Deleted member 308541

I have two Accu-Chek Performa's one of which I paid for with a cash back deal, the other one was a free upgrade to a chip less version. I use a new Abbot Freedom Freestyle Lite now as I got the software for it for free.

I was 400 klms away from all three last week for part of a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TazziT
B

badcat

I have a one rouch ultra and a tee2. I use the latter whenever I see a need to do more intensive testing than normal, I get strips for the ultra on a script but when i need more to get more i get them for the tee2 - the strips are much cheaper and the monitors come up with similar results its easier than getting an appt with gp and explaining why i need / want to test more. The tee2 was free, strips £7.75 for 50 both from spirit healthcare Arrived day after i ordered them

Last edited by a moderator:

dj65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have two my main one the Accu Chek Mobile and another Accu Check Performa which I keep in the car for testing before I drive or if I'm driving longer than a couple of hours.
My job involves a lot of journeys between clients.

Dave J

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a spare everything. Same brand meter, insulin pens, etc. I will never be without my life source. Small price to pay for insurance

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just the one for me. As an unmedicated type 2 being without my meter would be annoying but not dangerous.

Janr20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needlephobia giving insulin
Hi All,

Quick question do people who test reguarly tend to have more than one meter and if so are they the same or do people go for something different.

Reason for asking is I am currently 45 miles from my meter and there is no way I'm driving back to get it now.

Thanks...
I have a Care Sens N meter plus carry a spare one plus spare batteries. I tend to cover all bases when I am overseas but at home tend to rely on my diabetic kit (all gear in one place). Nobody has been able to tell me what to look for if battery is low

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I use the sd codefree meter and have a spare codefree meter.
I use this meter because the test strips are one of the cheapest to buy.
I used to use another meter, forgotten what it was as I have thrown it away, but the rest strips were very expensive to buy and the meter was free. Manufactorers tend to give away meters know in that the test strips are expensive

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the sd codefree meter and have a spare codefree meter.
I use this meter because the test strips are one of the cheapest to buy.
I used to use another meter, forgotten what it was as I have thrown it away, but the rest strips were very expensive to buy and the meter was free. Manufactorers tend to give away meters know in that the test strips are expensive

How much do you Then pay for 1 test strip ?

TazziT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Advacados
Thanks to everyone above for their input, I will be getting a second meter/tessting kit. It's not like my life depends on my meter but over the short time I have been using it I have learnt so much about foods & dirnks that effect my blood sugar.

On Friday all I had between my after lunch test and my pre evening meal test (5.5hrs) was a black decaff espresso without sugar. My BS actually went up by 0.2. Never saw that one coming.

Reactions: Gannet

Janr20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needlephobia giving insulin
I have a Care Sens N meter plus carry a spare one plus spare batteries. I tend to cover all bases when I am overseas but at home tend to rely on my diabetic kit (all gear in one place). Nobody has been able to tell me what to look for if battery is low

I needed to use that spare meter when I unfortunately left my diabetic kit at work 1 hr away. Luckily I had another kit back up at home and insulin syringes and needles. I hope that doesn't happen too often. I was shattered that day. Very scary. Won't tell my GP.

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started with an Accu chek mobile, which is very convenient to use, but my first one died quite early. I don't quite trust them now! I got an SD codefree while waiting for a new mobile, and I cross check between them sometimes which has produced interesting results. They usually read almost exactly the same. Just now and then, I get an unexpected result from one or the other. Leads me to being very careful about washing my hands and doing readings with care. My verdict is that it is always good to have a spare, anything can fail and if it just gets inaccurate without actually ceasing to work, how else would you know?