Spare Ribs

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I cooked spare ribs recently and they were really tender and 'fall-off-the-bone' but they really needed a bit more flavour. The last time I ate spare ribs was probably last year and it would have been from the Chinese takeaway! I used to get the 'dry ones not the ones covered in sauce.
So how can I get mine to taste similar?
I cooked mine in one of those oven roasting bags on a very low heat for several hours to get the tenderness - but was not sure about flavourings so just used a dollop of garlic olive oil, a squirt of barbecue sauce and some herbs.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooooh! I know! I know!

Basically just throw flavours at ribs till they are how you like them.
My favourites are
umami paste
tomato puree
garlic, crushed or powdered
onion, chopped, or dried
liquid smoke (its American, but available in my local Tescos)
any combo of barbecue spices
Worcestershire Sauce

And if you want some recipes, here are a few
https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/28-best-paleo-keto-ribs-recipes/
This website is a goldmine for all things low carby and recipeey

Reactions: Orangeteddy

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks for this Brunneria.

I've also just spotted on the Tesco website Tesco Chinese 5 spice 34g for just 85p - containing Star Anise, Cinnamon, Fennel, Black Pepper, Clove so I'll give that a go as well.

Reactions: Brunneria

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not a fan of cooking meat in bags, it is more like steaming than roasting. Chickens are often sold in ready to roast bags these days but I suspect that is for ease of handling and avoiding salmonella rather than the result, which is horrible.
The tastiest meat is usually the slightly burnt bits especially the fat. Why not give conventional slow roasting a try. My favourite is spicy chicken wings and I make my own. I go for a more West Indian taste as all the Chinese and barbecue marinades seem to use sugar or honey.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sort of with @Brunneria in making it up as I go along, depending upon how I feel on the day, or even the day before I cook them, should I choose to let them sit in a dry rub for 24 hours before cooking.

If you fancy something to brush on towards the end of cooking, I have made this in the past. Rather than larger Kilner jars, I use small ones and switch up some of the seasonings to have some smokier, and some with chilli and so on.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/low-carb-bbq-sauce-sugar-free-gluten-free/

Reactions: Orangeteddy