Specific thread for Seriously Low Carb bread products

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
After seeing details in a thread gnomically titled "Bread"
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/bread.177354/
I ordered some Seriously Low Cab rolls.
https://seriouslylowcarb.com/collections/seriously-low-carb-food
Testing them was complicated by various things discussed elsewhere.
I'm now on my second batch.

I have already started a thread for the German Lizza products.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/specific-thread-for-lizza-bread-products.177444/

By coincidence I have had deliveries of both products today, and so I can do a bit of comparative testing.

More later.

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
These rolls are approximately 71 grams in weight (website says 65 grams) compared to the 75 grams of the Lizza rolls.
The rolls are very much lighter in feel and larger than the Lizza bricks.

£3.29 for a pack of four (ignoring postage).
Euro 3.49 for two from Lizza (again ignoring postage) so roughly twice the price.

These rolls will hold a lot more filling (which I am seeing as a bonus).

These rolls are 2.7 grams of carbohydrate.
Lizza are 6.1 grams of carbohydrate.

Based on that I think the Seriously Low Carb rolls look like a winner on the statistics.

I just have to confirm that I am comfortable eating them.

Report on the first batch:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/bread.177354/#post-2320010

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well, still not sure about theses rolls.

From the first roll of the second batch I made an egg and bacon roll.
Two big slices of smoked back bacon.
One fried egg.

I had a bout of queasiness after eating the roll but I am still not sure if this is due to the roll, due to the filling (although I have eaten it before) or due a persistent sniffle which has lead to the charmingly named "post nasal drip" which is where snot trickles down the back of your throat. :eek:

Whatever, associating eating something with feeling queasy does not encourage the eating of same.

I'm going to try again soon, perhaps as cheese on toast.

For eatability (if that is a word) the LIzza German rolls are way ahead at the moment.
For the ability to cram a filling in, plus cost, these "Seriously Low Carb" rolls are way ahead.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well, been trying some more things.

First point is that splitting the rolls and popping them in the toaster then thickly buttering them whilst still warm seems a good strategy.

As a wrapping for deep fried sweet potato chips they were outstanding. However anything tasting that good (to die for) is far too good to be true.
There will be another post about that.

Tonight I used the last of my four pack to wrap sliced fried steak with mustard.
Again, very pleasant.
We shall see what the meter says.

I am tentatively concluding that there is something of a strange after taste and smell, but if the filling is a strong flavour and the roll is toasted this isn't an issue.

Still haven't tried cheese on toast.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tonight I will be mainly eating a LC roll with ham, cheese, tomato and English mustard.
Well, just finished it.

It was very nice, and illustrates that if you use a strong flavour filling then any strange tastes from the roll fade into the background.

Experience so far suggests that because of the different texture from a traditional bread roll (not as soft or "doughy") that soft or sloppy fillings such as a fried egg or tuna or egg mayo don't always work well with the rolls because they tend to just slide out.
Experience with "real" rolls suggests that a soft roll will deform to hold onto the filling whereas the LC rolls are a bit more "plasticy" and can't be squodged around to keep a soft filling in.

Sliced cheese, sliced ham, and sliced firm tomato all stay in place nicely, so that combination is a winner.

I am still tracking one strange thing.
In common with the Lizza products eating these low carb products seems to not spike my BG in the short term but leave my BG higher over night and through the next morning.
I'm still puzzling over that.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am still tracking one strange thing.
In common with the Lizza products eating these low carb products seems to not spike my BG in the short term but leave my BG higher over night and through the next morning.
I'm still puzzling over that.

Are they perhaps slow burning, i.e slower to release the glucose.
A bit like we are always told that porridge is slower release of energy.

How much over the longer term does it raise you by?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Are they perhaps slow burning, i.e slower to release the glucose.
A bit like we are always told that porridge is slower release of energy.

How much over the longer term does it raise you by?

There aren't supposed to be any significant carbs.

After midnight I usually drop to around the 5s, often lower, then slowly climb back up to 6s and 7s or higher by 06:00.
The Libre suggests that I'm not seeing that drop but staying in the 6s and 7s more or less flat all night.

Absolute numbers may be inaccurate because Libre.

If it was the protein I would expect to see similar from an animal protein meal such as egg and bacon or steak but that seems to allow me to drop low.

I think that I am seeing a different profile when I include some low carbohydrate bread products/substitutes but it takes a while to establish this through testing.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've just reported on the Lizza bread.
Decided that Lizza is not for me.

These LC rolls are growing on me.
I am getting used to the slightly strange taste and texture.

My tentative conclusion is that I am accustomed to eating sandwich style meals and enjoy them more that the individual items not combined.
For example cheese, ham and tomato are all fine together on the plate, but somehow combined in a roll they are more satisfying.
This may not be logical, but motivation and enjoyment do count when you are planning and eating meals.

I've tried a sliced loaf and that was OK but not very inspiring.
I ate half and then neglected it and it went mouldy.
I have just received a new order of rolls and loaves and I think I will split the loaves into two separate packages and only use one half at a time.
I tried this sliced bread as toast, and it was dry as dust so not exciting at all.
As bread around a cheese toastie it worked much better.
I mean to try it as a non-toasted sandwich when I get round to it.

Looking back, I noticed in the past that I seemed to have an unexplained rise in my BG overnight when I ate these rolls.
Again looking back I have reported the same with the Lizza rolls.
Recent example with these LC rolls is having two with cold turkey (I was hungry) and my BG staying over 6 all night.
If I'd just had the meat I would have expected my BG to drop to 5 or below before slowly climbing due to extended DP.
So something is happening, I'm just not sure what.
There are allegedly very few carbs in the rolls.

As a side note I had cold gammon, peas and a portion of home cooked frozen chips last night along with a naughty beer, and my BG went up high and then straight down again to below 5.
So this overnight higher reading doesn't seem to be down to protein or carbohydrates per se, as I had protein (including peas) and carbohydrates and saw the usual expected response.

As usual, more investigation to follow.