Spices

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe that variety is the spice of life, which is appropriate because I want to ask about different spices. I have found that it's pretty much impossible to have a bland low carb meal if you add the right herbs or spices. However, for convenience I am tending to eat the same sorts of meals throughout the week (omelette, celeriac chips etc). So I just thought I would ask if people had a particular favourite list of herbs and spices they use. Adding different types could really change the taste of a meal, and keep meals from getting dull. I am always trying to add to my list of meals I can cook, but sometimes convenience wins out over the urge for adventure.
So far I tend to use oregano and coriander a lot, with some use of ginger for my muffins and cinnamon for my pancakes. I also buy various curry powders but I feel a bit like I am cheating. I would be more satisfied to be able to throw particular things into a meal knowing it would enhance the flavour in a certain way. And there are loads more spices out there, I just don't know which ones I should try next!

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
I put this recipe up the other day Charles my family love it. I also make Kedgeree as I like the taste of Turmeric if you tolerate rice well, the same with Dahl Lentils just made with Red Lentils, Onions an Turmeric. Garlic of course. Minted Lamb, I always add Thyme and Sage to Steak and Onion pie.
Lamb Tagine with Cinnamon. Stir fries I add 5 spice along with Ginger and Garlic.
Nothing wrong with ready made Curry powder, it saves on buying another 5 or 6 spices.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/goulash.56619/

Last edited by a moderator:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Cumin, turmeric, coriander, chilli, smoked paprika, garam masala. Means I can throw a curry together quickly and fajitas with chicken.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a guy. for simple I use the curry pastes [not the sugary sauces] in the supermarket, a tablespoon of that, a tin of coconut cream, an onion, meat and other veg. a one pot taste treat

Reactions: 2 people