Spikes in BGL at OGTT

Hello!
I am a 28yo lady currently 14 weeks pregnant with my second child. I had gestational diabetes in my last pregnancy, hence the early OGTT this time around.
So I bought along my BG monitor so I could see what was happening with my BG levels at 15 min intervals after the glucose drink. My understanding of this test is that a result of under 5.6mmol at fasting level, and under 7.8mmol would mean you do not have gestational diabetes..
According to my readings, it was 4.7mmol at fasting which would mean a negative result... This is what happened thereafter....

8.25am 4.7
840am 6.7
8.55am 9.7
9.10am 9.8
9.25am 9.4
9.40am 9.0
9.55am 7.9
10.10am 7.4

So Ive spiked was above the threshold BG level and have crashed down again below the threshold before my next blood test which is going to give the illusion that I have not developed GD and will be left unmonitored for the next 14 weeks until my next test.
I dont understand much about normal BG levels in none diabetics but Im guessing that spiking so high isnt normal?

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm no expert on GD but those figures that you've posted of your OGTT to me, dont look too bad.
Yes there is a spike, but remember that you've presumably fasted before taking the OGTT and that what you were given was a quantity of 'PURE' glucose (the worst thing that we diabetics could possiblt take - apart from restoring from a HYPO), and being 'PURE' glucose it is used then to see just how well your body reacts to the glucose concentration over a time period and how well you are able to supply insulin/combat insulin resistance to bring the high glucose concentration back to a 'NORMAL' or safe level.
In the worst instant, your readings would remain much higher over a longer period of time. and what you have posted shows that you are able (at least for the present) to deal with any increased glucose loading.
They might want to conduct a 2nd OGTT at some later stage in your pregnancy to confirm that everything is fine.
Best wishes for the future - Lazybones

Last edited: