Splitting Fiasp Bolus

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there,

Has anyone successfully split a bolus using Fiasp? I have recently moved to Fiasp and tried to eat pizza for dinner last night.

I had previously managed this on Humalog by splitting my dose about 50:50 and taking the second dose an hour after eating. I tried to do the same last night and took 50% of my Fiasp dose on eating. I was then hypo an hour after eating, and struggled to keep my sugars up until bedtime. I didn't take the other 50% because I was scared of hypoing through the night.

I ate at about 7.30pm, was hypoing (sugars ranging from 3-4.7 and dipping up and down) from around 8.30pm until 10pm. Saw my sugars eventually rising to 6, so went to sleep at 10.30.

I then woke again at 1am with sugars at 16!! This is obviously because i needed the additional bolus for the pizza, I just didn't think that it would take so long to digest the food! I then took the rest of the insulin, however it's a bit scary taking a decent dose of fast acting without eating anything, during the night!

Has anyone else successfully eaten pizza on Fiasp? Should I be looking at smaller doses, with a longer interval in between?

I'd be really grateful for any help! Needless to say, I'm pretty tired this morning after all of that palaver last night!:banghead::banghead:

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ate pizza the other night, actually had 3/4 of pizza, injected in leg for full amount of carbs I suspected and ate straight away. I find injecting in the leg works well as absorption is slower anyway and tends to match the release of fatty meals. All I did before bed was measure and inject a unit before it started creeping. Slept like a log all night. I never inject in the stomach or arm for fatty foods as it just acts too fast.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
dont eat pizza but i have this problem with fried rice out the chippy if i do a 50/50 split i hypo so what i do now is say meal was 80gms i would have 2 units then when i start getting a slight rise i take 3 then just b4 bed about 3/4 hours later i take the rest this works for me as i find i get the big rise while asleep i am on fiasp also im not saying this will work for you it just works for me :)

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Before pumping I used to inject Fiasp for pizza in split boluse BUT 3 times 30% when I started eating, 30% an hour to hour and a half later then the last 40% at around 3 hours