1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Splitting Fiasp Bolus

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by Emck, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Emck

Emck · Well-Known Member

Hi there,

Has anyone successfully split a bolus using Fiasp? I have recently moved to Fiasp and tried to eat pizza for dinner last night.

I had previously managed this on Humalog by splitting my dose about 50:50 and taking the second dose an hour after eating. I tried to do the same last night and took 50% of my Fiasp dose on eating. I was then hypo an hour after eating, and struggled to keep my sugars up until bedtime. I didn't take the other 50% because I was scared of hypoing through the night.

I ate at about 7.30pm, was hypoing (sugars ranging from 3-4.7 and dipping up and down) from around 8.30pm until 10pm. Saw my sugars eventually rising to 6, so went to sleep at 10.30.

I then woke again at 1am with sugars at 16!! This is obviously because i needed the additional bolus for the pizza, I just didn't think that it would take so long to digest the food! I then took the rest of the insulin, however it's a bit scary taking a decent dose of fast acting without eating anything, during the night!

Has anyone else successfully eaten pizza on Fiasp? Should I be looking at smaller doses, with a longer interval in between?

I'd be really grateful for any help! Needless to say, I'm pretty tired this morning after all of that palaver last night!:banghead::banghead:

2. Muneeb

Muneeb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I ate pizza the other night, actually had 3/4 of pizza, injected in leg for full amount of carbs I suspected and ate straight away. I find injecting in the leg works well as absorption is slower anyway and tends to match the release of fatty meals. All I did before bed was measure and inject a unit before it started creeping. Slept like a log all night. I never inject in the stomach or arm for fatty foods as it just acts too fast.

3. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

dont eat pizza but i have this problem with fried rice out the chippy if i do a 50/50 split i hypo so what i do now is say meal was 80gms i would have 2 units then when i start getting a slight rise i take 3 then just b4 bed about 3/4 hours later i take the rest this works for me as i find i get the big rise while asleep i am on fiasp also im not saying this will work for you it just works for me :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Before pumping I used to inject Fiasp for pizza in split boluse BUT 3 times 30% when I started eating, 30% an hour to hour and a half later then the last 40% at around 3 hours

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook