Splitting Lantus, where to start

LaughingHyena

I've been having trouble getting my numbers settled for the last few weeks. It looks like I;m reaching the end of my honeymoon phase.

I seem to have got a handle on most of the day, however my before tea reading is always a bit on the high side. I was at my hospital check up this morning and the consultant suggested splitting my lantus to try and avoid the afternoon rise.

So how do I go about doing that, do most people start with a 50/50 split or should I start with more in the day? Is it just a case of stock up on the test strips and experiment (which seems to be what most things boil down to :lol: )

I'm going to leave it till school starts back as I know I am much more active in the afternoons when I'm cycling to pick the kids up and I think that is also having an effect.

Fallenstar

Hi LH

I split my Lantus dose, I take my bigger dose first thing in the morning between 18 and 22, if my blood sugars are on the rise after tea and are above 13 at bed time I will another 8 units to gradually bring them down through the night.
If my sugars are on the lower side after teatime and up to bed time and I have done a lot of exercise that day, I will leave it . I think you are right in saying you will need to experiment.
Maybe have less carbs at lunch or try a couple more units of your fast acting at lunch if it is just an afternoon rise, but if it is a trend in your sugars that just keeps rising throughout the evening/night and you are high on a morning try taking a third of your morning Lantus dose and see how you get on with that.
I would set the alarm for in the night though for a few nights to make sure you are not going low.

Pneu

LH... best place to start is with a 50/50 split and then do a couple of fasting tests at different periods of the day to make sure that your background BG's are stable... if they aren't you can then start to tinker with the split or increase / decrease the dosage as required.

As fallenstar suggests you may for the first couple of days want to check overnight just to be on the safe side..

LaughingHyena

Thanks, I hadn't thought about overnight testing but it sounds like a good idea.

So a quiet weekend and lots of testing it is.