Splitting levemir

sophsmam

Her morning dose can i give her that in the afternoon sophie is getting good lunch and tea readings but just can't can't get her morning one below 10.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
If Sophies getting a morning dose of Levemir and her readings are good at lunch and teatime, but her morning readings are still a little high , then its her bed time units that need increasing. If its usually around the 10 mark i would just increase bedtime dose by 1 unit and see how it goes over 3 -4 days.
We bought Andrews Levemir forward to 8pm, it still runs out by mid afternoon, but his bs has improved a good bit, and his extra dose of humalog at 4pm, even though it overlaps with tea time, just seems to be working (fingers crossed it continues)
good luck,
Suzi x

iHs

Hi

I would say that Suzi's advice is correct. Usually high bg levels in the morning are due to either eating too much carb before going to bed or not enough background insulin being injected. Best way to go is to test during the night to see what effect the insulin is having in keeping bg levels ok.

Its common for Levemir and Lantus as well to not give an even cover and that's why so many of us find ourselves having to use different bolus insulin to carb ratios at breakfast, lunch and eve meal. It's not always one ratio for the whole day :( We all find out what amount of bolus we need to use by testing mid morning, and mid afternoon.

Good luck anyway. I'm sure you will both find your way :)

sophsmam

I know this but before the split her morning reading was never a problem apart from the odd days.her main problem was tea and bedtime.She is curently on 28 units bed and 11 morning and still not below 10.I don't want to end up with her being back on one dose at bedtime with puberty and her hormones she needs a lot more at bedtime.But she needs some on the morning for tea to be below 10.so i thought if she had the morning dose after school she is still covered at tea and she'd have the full dose in her system during the night.Her morning dose runs out at 2am iv'e checked during the night still double figures.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I give Khaleb his evening Levemir at 5ish in the afternoon. His morning Levemir has all but run out and it is a bit easier at night if it has already peaked before I go to bed. I seem to get the night figures to be all over the place but his 2am and 6am are all much the same.

I'd drive myself insane trying to do any better.

Nothing stays the same that long with kids and sometimes I'm sure by the time I fix one thing it has all changed again. :twisted:

Hope your making progress.