Stage 3 kidney disease

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Oldvatr for this info. Very useful and interesting. Please keep 'em coming.

The coffee intake is a conundrum, Jape, so that's a useful reminder. According to what I read, one day coffee will see us off, another day it is beneficial. Or we can make it this way but not that way. A bit like certain types of alcohol, or no alcohol at all. Then there's tea. So it remains wise to access as much information as we can, to steer our way through with common sense, personal experience, good luck and a following wind..

Reactions: Oldvatr

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Caffeine is the stimulant in coffee. It is also in most plant leaves, so most teas are also rich in caffein. It is in cocoa and therefore chocolate, It is in soda drinks especially the energy and sports hydration drinks which are heavily fortified. So coffee is among a cast of many.

Anything which raises Cortisol in the blood will increase blood pressure, so stress, exertion, exercise, fear and loathing. Up to you as to where you start. Meditation is a handy tool. An "Am I bothered" attitude also helps.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apparently one of the treatments applied to chronic kidney patients is iron replacement where iron is given as a supplement. This is standard therapy apparently. So the study we have been discussing here goes against current practice by reducing iron to very low levels. However it may have some validity as too much iron is known to be toxic.
https://www.news-medical.net/news/2004/08/02/3708.aspx

One effect of CKD especially for those receiving dialysis is iron to deal with the inherent renal anemia. So reducing iron in CKD patients may well be harmful. I certainly think the authors of the study were chasing a different agenda. Their explanation did not make sense and referenced out to unconnected 'symptoms' and events. I expect their paper to be avidly quoted as proof of a vgetarian WOE prolonging life expectancy. Unfortunately it has an inherent and systemic bias.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is unfortunate that the study report does not give any breakdown on cause of death. It is All Cause mortality which covers everything. It would be of interest to see if the ratios of different class events changed i.e. cardio vascular i.e. stroke or heart, anemia, acidosis (lactic and uric). sepsis, or just natural causes like pneumonia. old age, or 'other'. And of course Diabetes since the title is Diabetic kidney disease, so presumably they were all diabetics.. Were there any diabetic comas? or DKA? i.e did reduction in iron lead to poor diabetes control due to, say, brain fog or forgetfullness/ dementia or possibly was it vice versa.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, Just getting ready for my annual checkup. Had some bloods done a few weeks back and my eGFR was 32 so Stage 3c I believe. Had my diabetic meds last week, and my eGFR is now 44. So what changed? Well I started taking Bitter Melon to replace the Metformin that I had recently given up. Also on the day I met the vampire, I did not eat anything, but had my normal copious cups of coffee to give my water pills something to work on, Seems one of those might have helped me.
PS the review is looking good. HbA1c = 46. BMI = 21.9, and cholesterol in the low ish end of the spectrum. Red Blood Count is fine, and most of the blood panel looking good. Feet still attached and ticklish
I will discuss halving my iron supplement since I have been on a high dose for some time now, and could probably extrude a 6" nail if I was able to. I am not convinced that the study we discussed earlier is viable, but excess iron can be toxic and my anemia seems to have cleared up.