Stalled...

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
After a few satisfying weeks of seeing my BS numbers falling to low 6s, a smattering of 5s and a couple of high 4s, they now seem to be stuck in the 6s. This has been going on for a couple of days.

I'm feeling very disappointed as I'm working so hard changing my diet to LCHF and walk briskly up to three miles a day.

I'm also very puzzled as to why this is happening.

Any ideas, anyone? Many thanks!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose it's all a question of how low do you want them to go. The body prevents the sugar from going too low by providing sugar from your liver to stop you from running out. It could either be that the gaps between eating is too long, your body is used to maintaining 6 or you are reading at the wrong time. Any number of reasons.

Don't get despondent since bringing it into the 6's is quite good.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I am no expert but could it be the hot weather? or are you a little under the weather and coming down with something - these may be possible answers.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Every few months I have a week of random highs with no other changes.
Once a month I have a few days of lows when I have a hard time keeping them up and immediately following is a few days of a tad higher. I'm lost menopausal but this is the routine I guess. I do journal to see if it's cyclical and it sure is.

I would t worry though I do understand your frustration and fear it will not come back down. Mine always has. It could be many other things like weather change,bleep, stress, cold or virus etc. I always just say the wind blew. Who knows what it is.

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is too soon to draw any conclusions (bg varies to the direction of the wind, sometimes!)

But if you are sticking to VLC and in ketosis, then it may be worth reading up on something called physiological insulin resistance, which can happen if you stay in ketosis for a prolonged period of time. No one has yet been able to prove that it is harmful ;) and it can easily be 'corrected' by coming out of ketosis for a few days.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Trying very hard not to get too despondent. I think diabetes is bringing out the control freak in me! Ideally I'd like the running average to be around 5.5. Up until this hiccup my running average had come down to 5.9.

The warm weather is a possibility - I got a 7.7 after walking a couple of miles to work this morning (it was already in the low 20s when I set out). I'm mildly stressed at work. I'm even wondering if it's down to the batch of test strips I started a couple of days ago, coincidentally.

I'm intrigued about the physiological insulin resistance - I'll read up on this later.

Thank you all for your suggestions so far and for cheering me on. It's very much appreciated.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Worry not, the control freak phase passes too ;)

Unless of course being a control freak is your natural state, in which case you are just bringing D under that umbrella. :D

I have no natural control freakery, yet I still managed to prick test and food diary with the best of 'em. For a while. But, as I say, it passes. Now I just eat well and test when I feel the need. After all, there is a limited number of times you can test a breakfast of scrambled eggs before you decide you are wasting test strips. :)

Edited for accuracy:
I don't think I have a natural control freak streak.
But I just asked Mr B, and he raised his eyebrows and said 'have you looked at your wardrobe lately?'
Apparently he thinks that clothes arranged by colour family is the sign of needing therapy.
Odd.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Not a control freak normally, but I wonder if I am getting a little too obsessed. It may be time to treat myself to a small portion of posh chips with my steak this weekend! :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Brunneria you always crack me up. I'm having a tad high morning again accompanied by some sniffles so I will chalk today and this past week up to that.
I was a single mom and worked two jobs for many years and I admittedly am a bit of a control freak due to the need to be very organized . Especially if that is defined as arranging ones closet by color and sleeve length. Haha.

I know I'm OCD with wondering where I'm at. This needs to stop haha.

I do think D can bring out the control and OCD side of us. @Tabbyjoolz maybe I'll join you for the steak, just not the chips.

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz