Started cycling again

eng

I'm a T1 diagnosed some 34 years ago, Some background, I'm on Lantis and Fiasp and Freestyle Libre. I've just started cycling again after many years out of the saddle and I'm struggling to keep my BGs up when on a >15 mile mountainous trip. I've as before had carby meal prior to cycling, reduced my bolus insulin to less than ¼ of my non cycling and taking Gluco Tabs like they are going out of fashion whilst riding. Anyone have any suggestions what I can do or take to keep my sugars up during and after cycling?

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't do that kind of exercise with any bolus on board. I have also found that I need to eat chocolate bars that are high in fat as well as sugar - snickers are good - for the energy boost. I think the fat delays the sugar absorption.

You might find the more you do your body adjusts.

eng

I can't do that kind of exercise with any bolus on board. I have also found that I need to eat chocolate bars that are high in fat as well as sugar - snickers are good - for the energy boost. I think the fat delays the sugar absorption.

You might find the more you do your body adjusts.
Hmmm that's the next step is no bolus and also reducing my basal on cycling days. I'm trying to lose weight also so was sticking to the gluco tabs although I would love a few snickers on a bike ride

D

Deleted Account

I find the affect of exercise on my BG reduces as I get used to the type of exercise.
So, if possible, I would start with shorter rides or slower cadence and build it up gradually.
After "many years out of the saddle, you won't be used to cycling so probable need to start slowly.
And don't forget the effects are likely to last for up to 48 hours so may be worth reducing your basal for the next couple of days.

eng

A touch of a hypo last night but a couple of biscuits sorted that out. That was with reduced bolus and basal. I would love to take it easy but living in south Wales there's hills everywhere! I need to get my fitness levels up and that's not going to happen without pushing myself. Again any suggestions on gels to use?

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I regularly do long distance cycles through the Peak District sometimes over 100 miles I find I need very little insulin and I have to be careful the next day for hypo’s and during the night

Reactions: Rockman

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your body will need less and less insulin as though big leg muscles get bigger and make you more insulin sensitive so I would minimise the bolus or take it out completely and even reduce your basal (to cope with lows following the long ride). All this is much easier with a pump but you could split the basal.
A long steady endurance session like this lowers the blood sugar the most and you do not want to be having to neck glucose tabs all ride long or worse still be anxious about running out of them as I have done on a few long runs when I was not low carbing. The bolus jab you are taking lasts at least 4 hours and once your muscles start taking up glucose at a higher rate then its unsurprising
An interestng thing is that there are many endurance athletes who find a low carb approach helps their body to run off fat (eaten or from your own body supplies) more than carbs so that you are less in need of carbs during a race. If you are doing this to maintain or lose weight that could be a more helpful approach but ease in gently!

Rockman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing to be honest
When my sugar it's to high I do moderate exercise, like walking or cycling that makes my heart beat a little faster and I will breathe a little harder. My muscles will use more glucose, the sugar in my blood stream. Over time, this can lower my blood sugar levels. It also makes the insulin in body work better.

Last edited: