Started Insulin this week.

Dolphin500

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Dogs Men who are Selfish.Stressful Situations hubby wont stop smoking has COPD.
Dosnt take me into consideration too Selfish for That.
Hi to all,

I started insulin this week and my bs is still high i phoned up hosp n they didnt return my call so what do i do i am on 10 units of novomix breakfast n tea.

My reading before dinner was 20.2.

I go on the 3rd of august to the insulin group but something needs sorting before then.

Dolphin500.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Might be an idea to look at your diet? Are you eating a lot of carbohydrates, if so they can push your levels right up.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with ladybird.

Do you log your blood sugars (on wake up, before a meal, 2 hours after, then bed time.) plus the carb intake for each meal. Including any snacks..? There are "apps" to aid this!
This will help the doctors help you...

Dolphin500

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Reactions: 2 people

Dolphin500

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Reactions: 3 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you are eating a lot of carbs, ie bread (any sort), potatoes, rice, pasta, cereal - your levels will get pushed up. This is why it's vital not only to log your levels, but make a note of what you've eaten as well - and look at adjusting things if needed.
Of course insulin will help, but only if you are paying attention to what you eat too. What kind of foods/meals are you eating?

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same issues when first diagnosed and couldn't get my blood sugars down until I started carb counting and working out the effects carbs had on my levels, I would recommend the carbs and cals app, gives you a good understanding of the carb content in most foods, hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes i do log my blood sugars.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

That's great. You're half way there.. However a bunch of test results will mean nowt to the health professionals without a logged carb intake on the meals for a reference..? An honest picture of any snacks and alcohol helps too!

Again, there are apps like Diaconnect that make this easier...

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Dolphin500 - I can see everyone is asking about the food you eat... although another thing to consider is that the actual insulin you're using is wrong for you. I notice you're on a mixed insulin. Firstly, do you still produce sufficient insulin yourself? (eg. have they done a recent GAD test and c-peptide test on you and that's why you were placed on insulin?). If you're insulin deficient (the c-peptide tests shows you don't produce sufficient insulin) then you may find being on a basal insulin and a separate bolus insulin would work better. The mixed insulin could have the wrong basal and bolus ratio for you. I hope you're able to have a discussion with your doctor. By all means review your carbs, but also you need to know what your body is doing and if the insulin is right for you as well. Also there are other factors that influence your sugar levels such as stress, other medications, etc.... none of us here know what your overall situation is, but you do. That's why everything should be discussed with your doctor or diabetic nurse. I wish you the best. :)

Dolphin500

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I guess that I was responding to the point that Dolphin made about having high bgs that needed "sorting" prior to the insulin appt on the 3rd Aug, those that also commented (both of whom have experience of insulin) also suggested maybe dietary changes in the meantime. Maybe this isn't the advice the OP was interested in, not sure about that.

Last edited by a moderator: