Starting Metformin ... But Weirdly Enough, Not For T2d

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wish me luck - I really want to be able to tolerate the drug this time around.

First time I took it, I stupidly chose the ER version and I'm hoping it was the enteric coating that caused the subsequent bleeding gastritis and anemia from occult blood loss. That experiment lasted only 6 months and I never thought about trying it again.

As it says in my signature, I have another diagnosis besides T2D, namely Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF). I have been offered and declined two new medications only available in Australia for the past couple of years. This video pretty much summarises why I turned them down, particularly given the lack of historical data and very common side effects. Not to mention that there's really no change to quality of life - all it does is possibly drag out the inevitable. And I already have enough GI issues without adding these drugs to the mix. :(

Very recently, I ran across this study using metformin for PF - yes, in a mouse model, but with the advantage that the words "reversing fibrosis" were used. Plus it's a well known drug with a long safety record.

Luckily my GP was open to prescribing the metformin to me, I guess because in the usual course of events I would already have been taking it. And after reading the study, I kind of wish I had been taking it all along!

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-018-0087-6

Wish me luck, peeps - I've beaten the odds with this disease so far, so hopefully this may extend my luck even further :)

Have taken the first dose - a few weird symptoms, but nothing major thus far. Fingers crossed!

M

Moggely

Good Luck @Indy51 I really hope it works for you. Guess one has to give everything ago, and as the old saying says" what doesn't work for one person may very well work for another".

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The very best of luck to you, Indy.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Indy51 , you help and encourage so many with your carefully researched information that you so generously share.
Wish you all the luck in the world.
For the gastric effects of Metformin have you tried pepoermint or ginger tea? Also peppermint oil capsules. In UK there is a brand, Colpermin, which I find helps.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh @Indy51 - I really, really wish you well on this.

I have a family history of fibrosing alveolitis, which is a form of PF. If anything can be done to help with that group of conditions, it gets my vote.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Great news @Indy51. :) :) :)
I wish you all the goodness of metformin I've had over the years.
It has looked after me and my babies.

Ps. I've just returned to one tablet a day for a desperate 3kg loss needed for op.

I'm sending you loads of luck.