Starting over

Sparklygal

Hi folks. I have tried going LC a few times if not several in the past but always gave in to my cravings for sugar and carbs. My reaction to carbs even when I am not bingeing on chocolate and crisps has gotten worse. Four potatoes (chips) and 1 and a half hamburgers put my BG up to 21.4! :shock: My last HbA1c was about 9.4 and it's gradually creeping up all the time. At last clinic appt I was prescribed Glic. I took it for a week and seemed to have no effect but then again I was still bingeing on chocolate etc but I really don't want to be on additional meds 2,500mg of Met. is plenty plus others for BP, stomach acid etc. My GP has been trying to get me to take simvastatin for a couple years but I have not taken them so far...maybe for two to three days and stopped. I saw Pill Poppers (Horizon on BBC2) where people on them said they felt worse.

I got up quite late today and my breakfast was 3 cumberland sausages (quite high, about 7g each), 2 slices bacon and 2 eggs scrambled with butter. It was delicious and best of all my BG is only 6.1 four hours later. :) usually takes a few days for them to settle down.

I am not going to count carbs for now, I am just concentrating on avoiding obvious poison (for me choccie etc is poison) and carbs like spuds and bread. I don't wanna put too much pressure on myself.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Sorry to hear of your problems. Diet is a big factor in glucose control but you may need help from a second line diabetes medication if metformin is not sufficient - at least until you have your diet under control. If you have a weight issue and gliclazide does not help then you might want to try Januvia or Byetta instead of the gliclazide.

Take care

Doug